Not as good a Knot as I thought it was...(not)

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

There has been a few posts about knot strength this week and this has got me thinking that I might revisit my testing on knot breaking strains.

After work today I tested a locked blood knot and a uni knot and got pretty much the same result on 3k mono and that was close to 90% of the breaking strain of the line over 3 individual knots. I used mono because I figure most of us mono leaders and knots in mono seem to fail more ( not from slippage) than braid.

I then tested the actual breaking strain of the line to verify it was really 3k and it fell a little short so the adjusted knot strength was closer to 92%.

I have to say that I have been down this track before and so much is dependent on the way the knot is tied and the actual line that is used that it becomes a nightmare including all the variables in a test.

A good point raised my old man some 20 years ago is that if you are fishing drag of 50% of knot strength then perhaps knot strength is less critical.

I am happy with the knot strength I achieve ( happy to improve it) but if other Raiders are getting poor results maybe we can put our heads together and find out why.

Let me know the knots you use and I will test them out.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Hi Jim

I to have found tangled with this dilemma. After substantial testing of probably more than 30 knots I found the Palomar knot to be the strongest with mono going a full 100% with the line breaking before knot. With fluro it was bout 90%. The improved clinch was great as well.

There is a down side I found to having to stronger knots though. when you get snagged the braid has a tendency to break at any weak point as knots don't let go and if that happens to be 2m from the surface with 20m of line to where you are snagged it gets expensive. Check out a show on youtube called KNOT WARS.

Cheers

Sean

Hi Jim

I to have found tangled with this dilemma. After substantial testing of probably more than 30 knots I found the Palomar knot to be the strongest with mono going a full 100% with the line breaking before knot. With fluro it was bout 90%. The improved clinch was great as well.

There is a down side I found to having to stronger knots though. when you get snagged the braid has a tendency to break at any weak point as knots don't let go and if that happens to be 2m from the surface with 20m of line to where you are snagged it gets expensive. Check out a show on youtube called KNOT WARS.

Cheers

Sean

Thanks - Very interesting