Sensor Surf vs T-Curve Revolution Coastal

Dave_

I'm looking at a new heavy rock fishing set up and I'm trying to get an idea about the Daiwa Sensor Surf and the Shimano T-Curve Revolution Coastal rods, both in 1302 10-20kg.

I'm not close to a tackle shop that has them in stock so I can't get a feel for them just yet. Has anyone used these rods?

I'm looking at a Daiwa Saltist 6500h or Emblem Pro 5500 or a Shimano Ultegra ci4+ 5500 to match with this rod. All have 15kg drag which is what I'm after and high retrieve speed. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I cannot speak for the Shimano T-Curve Revolution Coastal as I've never used one, but I do have the 13ft Sensor Surf (the previous model without the K-guides). I use it for long-range snapper fishing off the rocks and mulloway/shark fishing from the beach. Relatively light, casts great (getting 100m on it with my Saragosa 14000F and 30lb Power Pro and a snapper rig with a 5oz lead) and very strong (have had some big battles with massive rays). Only slight issues I've found is that because of the fast recovery of the graphite blank, you have to be gentle when casting soft baits else they can be easily flung off the hook, and the extra long length of the butt. In fairness, it's made so that you can trim the butt section to suit (but I've been too lazy to do that) and it's only an issue for me as I prefer to hold onto the rod when I'm fishing rather than leave it in a rod holder. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons, and I would certainly get another one if by some act of stupidity (on my part) I managed to break it.

Hope this helps.

Aidan

Can I add a rod or two to the discussion without intending to hijack the thread.

I have been trying to make similar decisions in the same lengths and weights, I am also curious of the 16ft surf sensor pros and cons and the action. I have also had the Penn Prevail and the samaki in the same short list. I usually fish 65lb whiplash on a 12000d bait runner (65lb braid means I can fish 50-60lb leaders and get all my line back when repeatedly getting spooled by rays and sharks). Can anyone add opinions with the prevail in the mix?

I think I liked the action on the daiwa the best of those when loaded up but would like K series guides, I didn't know the daiwa a had them. There seems to be a tournament model in the daiwa as well but I'm not sure the differences between that and the sensor.

Hopefully someone on here has some experience with them.

I use an Emblem Pro 500 on a 13'6 Live Fibre. Great Long casting real. Spool will require tuning straight out of the box to make the line pack to capacity.

The Saltist 6500 another great reel but if your looking at one of these may I suggest a Pfleuger Salt 70 or 80 which will give you 20kg drag and save you $50 and is every bit as good a reel.

I find the Sensor Surf to soft in the action for tossing anything much over 4oz. A 10' Penn Prevail would be more suitable

I have a t-curve. Good rod, but has to be matched with a big reel to balance it. Im using mine with a shimano baitrunner 6000 and its underbalanced. I have no problems with it, might be a bit heavy for some peoples liking though. But do you really need a rod that long and powerful off the stones? What are you chasing??? I have a aerowave 8-15 kg and i class that as slightly over kill

I have a t-curve. Good rod, but has to be matched with a big reel to balance it. Im using mine with a shimano baitrunner 6000 and its underbalanced. I have no problems with it, might be a bit heavy for some peoples liking though. But do you really need a rod that long and powerful off the stones? What are you chasing??? I have a aerowave 8-15 kg and i class that as slightly over kill

Thanks for your opinion on the T-Curve, it sounds like a big strong rod which is definitely what I'm after.

What I want is a dead set whopper stopper. I've got a Baitrunner 8000 O/C and I don't consider that huge being only 9kg drag. I want a set up that I can dominate huge fish with, I'm tired of getting smoked off the stones. I just want something that puts the odds more in my favour. 40kg Jew, Tuna, Kings, Sharks etc.

All of this will probably just result in me getting pulled off the rocks haha!

Edited by Dave_

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any experience with the IZM series in the Daiwa sensor surfs yet? I like the look of the 153xxs on paper as I'm a big fan of the k series guides but I haven't seen or held one and was wondering if they were too stiff on the tip for a jewie take? Or if people think 15ft is too much rod for a breakwall. I currently fish 12 and 13ft without dramas. I appreciate that you need a bit of grunt in the tip to cast big baits but not sure if it might be too much to still have that little bit of absorption for the smooth take.

hey mate just about to buy the 13 foot sensor surf. I have an existing saltist 6500h matched to a 12 foot aerowave. its a great combo.

I will be using a ci4 thunnus 8000 on the sensor.

I am also buying the 8 foot bait caster for rock fishing drummer etc. Will let you know how i go.

buying up all these combos to hit stockton in the near future lol

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up going with the original Sensor Surf 1302 10-20kg (didn't bother waiting for the IZM) and a Saltist 6500H. It's a beast of a set up but I haven't landed anything too substantial with it yet.

That is a serious setup, you will have no problem pulling in Russian subs with it. I checked out the sensor surf in store and they feel great! and you can't go past the Saltist, especially with the addition of the easy upgrades. It is pretty hard to not upgrade drag washes to carbon these days. What type of line are you going with?

That is a serious setup, you will have no problem pulling in Russian subs with it. I checked out the sensor surf in store and they feel great! and you can't go past the Saltist, especially with the addition of the easy upgrades. It is pretty hard to not upgrade drag washes to carbon these days. What type of line are you going with?

I went with 50lb Sunline Super PE and 60lb Yo-Zuri H.D. Carbon F/C. Casts a mile even with a heavy weight. The long butt is awesome for casting.

Edited by Dave_