Sd card for go pro

Bartos09

Hello fellow Raiders,

I've manageds to score the new gopro for my birthday. After doing some research it seems that choosing the right sd card is really important. I was originally planning to fork out for the best sd card on the market but I thought that would be under $200 not over $500.

My understanding is that the higher the speed the better the resolution, and larger capacity means longer recording sessions. I'm not sure if it is more in depth than that. Can anyone please shed some light on this and recommend a good sd card. I would like to take the best possible quality footage and record for at least an hour at a time, but dont want to pay a large premuim for a tiny increase in quality.

Cheers

Nev

Sandisc Extreme are about $60 for 64gb... That's all you need! Could check out 128gb ones too. I dont understand who is quoting you $500+ for one, even $200+ Seems very expensive! I'll send you a link.

Unless you're doing some amazing video work for Foxtel then I'd stick with a Sandisc.

Moved Topic to relevant forum

Thanks mate. Yes I was looking at that originally. Then I saw a youtube review where the guy says he uses a 600x sd card. I looked into that and found out that they make 1000x cards (which are $500). The maximum size the gopro will take is 64 mb, but I dont know what that will equate to for filming time. And I wanted to know what speed people use as a mimimum, and if there is any point paying the extra $ for ultra high speeds. I'll check that link out now.

Sorry about posting in the wrong spot.

Did you get the GoPro 4?

I've got the 3+ and a 16Gb & 32Gb Sandisk Extreme cards.... they work fine, I think they were maybe $40-$70ea?? Don't quote me but I think they need to be minimum Class 10?

More importantly, you should look at getting a spare battery or two - as GoPros tend to drain batteries pretty quick filming HD Video....

I was lucky enough to get the 4 black. From what I've read class 10 is still a broad range. Apparently I need to be using a card with a minimum write speed of 300x (or 45mb/s) to keep up with the speed of the camera.

Thanks that is an interesting point. How long can I expect a battery to last at a time?

I was expecting to be filming hd and using wifi at the same time but I might have to reevaluate that if I'm going to have to change batteries every 5 mins

I had problems with sandisk. The Go Pro itself, gets a little hot when it operates, especially when its inside the water proof sealed casing.

The sandisk sd craps out and the file gets corrupted. I ended up doing more research and got a Samsung 64GB micro SDXC SD Card MicroSD Pro, around the $60 mark, and now I don't have any issues.

And yes I recommend to buy more battery packs. Look up Smatree... I got a 2 battery charger + 3 extra batteries for like $30, and they work fine, bargin.

EDIT: this is what led me to purchasing the Samsung SD.

Edited by The Incredible Hull

The gopro site should give you what they recommend for their device. Best to get one of the options that they have tested and know will work at its optimum. In a lot of cases, just because the write speed is faster, this does not mean you will achieve that speed.

As an example, if you have a 1080p DVD player, but your TV is only 720p, I don't think you will be watching 1080.

Hi

when you said:

My understanding is that the higher the speed the better the resolution, and larger capacity means longer recording sessions.

Are you talking about the speed of the card? The cards will have a number on them in a part circle.

This indicates the speed of the card. The higher the number , the higher the cost, the faster you can record to it

or you could have a higher resolution.

According to the standard, a 4 or 6 speed can will do HD recording, but a 2 will only do SD. Then of course the 10

will record everything you throw at it.

Also yes, the battery does not last long. Last weekend I did a time lapse, one minute apart on a single Battery to see how long it last. I got 130 photos out of it, so thats 2hrs 10mins battery life. This is off the 1180MaH battery. I would imagine video would drain faster

Edited by Rob81