Boat Bouncing on Trailer During Tow

Brooker435

Good Morning Raiders,

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction here.

Yesterday I took my boat out for the first time, its a Quintrex 3,75 Dart.

I had no issues with the Boat but the only thing bothering me was how much the boat was bouncing on the trailer whilst under tow. It was secured with a tie down and the stern and winched at the front just like my previous fibreglass boat.

Obviously the weight of the fibreglass boat eliminated any bouncing.

The trailer has very small rims possibly 10" not exactly sure and the springs are 2 leaf which I am planning to replace next year due to rust. My thoughts are to replace the rims with 13" rims & putting x2 tie downs on the trailer one on the back and one towards the front is this a good idea? or does anyone have a better idea? or am I just being over paranoid?.

Regards,

Nathan

Edited by beginner

Thankyou Iceman, I was planning on replacing the springs next year but I guess I will do it sooner as I am concerned that the bouncing will cause damage over time.as for the rims Ill just get a spare wheel for it as the boat has no spare and that should be it for now hopefully.

Appreciate your prompt reply.

Regards,

Nathan

my boat is like that very bouncey - i though it was the wheel size as well as my camer ful;ly loaded (about the same weight ) is fine, i also used t tow my race cand and 8 spear wheels and never moved behind me,

i will be loading the boat with gear and camp stuff next time so ill will asses how it pulls then, as i hate thet bouncing feeling and look.

mine is a 16ft half cab fibre glass boat

Hi Nathan, looking at the photo of your boat, that trailer should be for fibreglass boat with those rollers.

You should only have keel rollers and skids for alloy boats.

Looks like the boat sits way too far back in the photo which would reduce the tongue weight on the tow ball of your car causing the trailer to tow poorly and bounce around especially if you haven't greased your shiny new towball and adjusted the preload on the coupler to fit snugly on the ball.

There should be roughly 50mm over hang at the transom.

In regards to tiedowns, get rid of that single strap across the back and put a tiedown on each corner of the transom if you can. (The single straps across the transom can crack welds on pull the gunnels inwards when pulled down tight on light alloy boats)

One last thing get yourself a cap for that winch post before it fills with water and rusts out the base if it hasn't already happened.

Here's the photo of your boat set up, and here's mine with the boat trailer setup correctly.

Like Iceman said replace those springs then I'd be looking at removing those rollers and replacing with skids and moving the boat forward on the trailer.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

post-20199-14166942266422_thumb.jpg

post-20199-14166942453081_thumb.jpg

post-20199-14166943425667_thumb.jpg

post-20199-14166943901501_thumb.jpg

Thanks Fabian,

Looks like the to do list has grown significantly lol.

I think I will go right over the trailer now cause compared to yours my trailer looks like a basket case and then hopefully Ill have no worries.

Regards,

Nathan

Don't despair mate anything can be fixed with some money and a little know how.

Remember my trailer is basically brand new and even then I had to adjust the trailer rollers/skids/axle/winch post to suit my boat and car perfectly.

This is the most surefire way of fitting the boat to the trailer and the trailer to the car.

Alot of people buy New/used boats and don't give the setup a second thought and simply drive with it as is then wonder why it tows poorly or worse kill themselves or others.

My advice to anyone reading this is have your boat fitted correctly to your trailer and your trailer fitted to your car.

Doing this Your boat will track nicely behind your car and it will be a pleasure to launch and retrieve.

If you need a hand to set your trailer up just sing out mate and I'll come over and help you.

Cheers.

Thanks Fabian,

I really appreciate your assistance & advice.

Ill have to wait till next payday to do most of the work but for now ill go over it and sus out what needs replacing or adjusting.

Unfortunatly as you said people do overlook things and thats how accidents happen.

Lucky for me I am very paradoid and now I will not tow the trailer till I am completly satisfied with it.

Yes its going to cost money but heck thats life not much we can do and when its all sorted I need not worry.

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Geoff,

To clarify the trailer is very bouncy and id say that is causing the boat to bounce on the trailer whilst under tow. I am planning to move the boat forward on the trailer and replace springs with 3 leaf as the 2 leaf are rusted anyway. Also if its not too much work ill try to install skids at the rear.

But as loco dave has mentioned might be worth looking at the tyre pressure also.

I appreciate everyone's advice on the issue thanks a lot. .

Regards,

Nathan

Guest Aussie007

i have never seen 2 leaf springs they must be very old! 1 and 3+ are common these days, when u replace the old springs u take the length and minus a little to the closes size in under length as the new springs arnt pre loaded

there is a debate weather to go with galvanised or not you'll need to do your research

if your springs are rusty hows the axle,fish plates and U bolts?

Don't start over thinking things...Start at the beginning, move the boat and front post forward then adjust rollers,pump up tires to correct psi and road test.I suspect it will be heaps better but you still might have to move the axle back a bit to put more weight on the tow ball,then re test and post back here your findings.I wouldn't go buying things first off though.

Regards

Thanks. Guys after reading all your replies I will take the following steps.

This weekend I will move the boat forward, try to make adjustments to the trailer, axle and check pressure on tyres and road test it and post back on my results.

When I get paid in another 2 weeks ill replace the springs and bearings and if needed see what's involved in installing skids but Im feeling confident that a bit of adjustment will be all I need to do for the time being.

Again raiders I really appreciate your info.

Regards,

Nathan

If your going to replace the springs, give us a call at Roadrunner, and talk to myself or Adrian, do the normal thing please and mention your a raider.

We do need a couple of days to get the correct bits in.

We are at Prestons, so nice and close

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Raiders, Just to update on this topic. Today I moved the boat forward and noticed that some of the rollers had no weight on them so I spent my afternoon raising and lowering rollers till I was happy that the weight of the boat was shared around the rollers and took it for a 5 min drive over a few bumps and it seems better if I am feeling up to it tonight ill go for a fish but I am convinced that I am on the right track next pay Ill replace the springs fish plates u bolts and bearings and fingers crossed that's it for now..

I appreciate everyone's advice on the issue this is what makes this site great..

Regards,

Nathan

Replace those rollers on that trailer with skids mate as soon as you can, I'd be doing that first before anything else, but thats me.

You mention that some rollers had no weight on them which is never good on a lightweight alloy boat as all the weight is concentrated on very few rollers.

Yeah Fab, The Skids will get done but not right now. I am guessing that when I moved the trailer forward it has thrown out the adjustment of the rollers.

After adjusting the rollers they all have roughly the same amount of weight on them it was a painful job and took me a couple of hours till I was satisfied with it as when you jack up one roller it would throw out the other rollers so I loosened all of them, started at the front of the trailer and slowly worked my way to the back, once I was satisfied with it I hooked it up and went for a drive and as I mentioned earlier it is noticeably better, I will take her out tonight after dinner all going well.The only issue I am going to have when I do install the skids I may have to take the boat off the trailer so I can change the brackets but Ill get around to a few trailer shops and see what I need to buy and go from there, for Now I am satisfied with the trailer and how it tow's.

Regards,

Nathan