outboard power/ bar crossing

reese

hi there

i have brought a send hand boat - boat is awsome all features and fun stuff - has a 60hp eveinrude - 3/4 throttle planes nicely on 50kmph, -

bpt is a 15.9ft swift craft seagull half cab registered for 6 adults- i have been told this is a lighter modle weight wise compare to its 1988 moulds.

i have been researching bar crossing ect - and alot of the issues i have seen with people coming in is the back wave catches up - and looks like the boat almost stops and sucks in - is it the skippers fail or lack of engine power sucking them back?

am i thinkng to much into this?

i have a young familly and i can assure you we will not be going out on anything apart form good weather and will have weather updates.

previouse owener said they had 4-5 adults out fishing multipul times at montague island - so thats good to no-

i guess if the weather dose catch us out coming in is 60hp enough power to ride the back of the wave in?

thoughts opinions?

im just trying to learn - i have been reading and watching everything possible

cheers Reese

Edited by reese

Reese were do you start with bars crossing you could be here all day, You can go out in the morning the bars ok, Come back in the afternoon and try to get in and its that rough you will S-IT yourself at the site of what's happening at the bar, Then nerves builded up , Then you have to take your time at watching the waves and make you move if you think its ok, But local knowledge from marine rescue is the best, Bar web cam,,Go down watch the bar at low tide , High tide, rough weather , Calm wether , Run in ,Run out, this give s you a good indication on whats happening. But being out there is totally different again , Having waves creep on you it happened to me and almost rolled in the bar. It happens to the best of us. Safety is the tool if you don't like it don't go. There can never be to much thought going in crossing the bar again safety first. Any advice is good advise.

Edited by chocolate

Chocolate has covered the key points. Check the barr at low tide around midday up or early PM with the wind up. This will normally be when it is at it's worse.

In respect to the motor , when I purchased my boat the guy tried to sell me a 60hp. In the river it was fine but I did not think it had the punch to stay on the back of a wave crossing a bar so I went for a 70hp.

Glad I did as it was not long after when crossing a bar with 4 on board that extra 10hp made all the difference.

Geoff

Would not even think of taking 5 people out in a boat over a bar crossing.

I had a 22ft Trophy and only ever had a max of three on board.

You need space.

As for the larger motor it can also make the boat handle worse at rest.

I have seen experienced, bar educated people cross bars in 14ft boats with only 30/40 hp.

Good words from Chocolate.........

Time your trip so you are never returning with the tide going out as this makes the waves stand up and break,

with the horsepower issue my boat is a 5 metre plate ally rated to 70 hp, when setting it up the dealer

recommended a 100 hp motor because it is the same weight as the 70 and also because the transom is built like a tank

and at times ive used every one of those horses getting to keep up with the wave in front with 2 and 3 people in the boat,

I would never consider 4 or 5 people in that size boat outside that is a recipe for disaster.

Cheers Bloodshot

thanks Geoff and bloodshot for answering my question - chocolate south sydney thanks for the input i am very much on top of all those saftye issues and have been watching cams and other boats and speaking to marine rescue so i think i am doing everything i can to learn and be as safe as possible.

i had watched a few bar crossing vids adn few people got caught with the wave catching them and i was wondering if it was lak of power / under current strength..

as i said ill be watching weather as best as possible (need to start somewhere dont we)

mainly will be max of 3 adultsnand 1 small child - bar crossing wont happen all the time as i will hopfully be boating mostly at jervis bay - but still need to learn

thanks for your input..

Edited by reese

My experience crossing whangapoua bar in New Zealand wAs pleasant. I knew my neighbour was heading out so I asked to follow him to learn the water. After a couple of times doing that I'm confident I can handle THAT bar.

Local knowledge is good - remember every bar is different!

Practice and experience.I have been in and out of Swansea bar heaps of times and I don't count it as a bad bar but last week coming back in after dark was a bit hairy due to white caps and rolling breakers.As I said go and practice some before you take all the family out.

thanks thats the plan - did the moruya bar this morning could hardly notic a bar was there, then drove to narooma and can see the difference - glade i will be only using moruya/ batemans Bay and jervis bay, for the near future -

Marine rescue was very good to deal with and there help -