Shimano Or Daiwa

kevvie

Interesting this topic has come up for discussion as just yesterday I was chatting to a fellow f'raider 'fisherman dan', and he was telling me how the Shimano Trinidad is no match for the Daiwa Saltiga jigging reels. He mentioned that they are a great reel and fine for fishing in and around sydney, but he wore through a Trinidad quick smart when fishing up in the tropics. He went on to talk about the japanese anglers who jig Lord Howe Island for XOS kings and samsons, would fish Saltigas.

In saying that I have a Shimano Calcutta 200 that is about 10 years old now and is still going strong. I have upgraded the drag to an Erskine Carbontex under my own accord, and the bearings were replaced by Shimano on a mandatory service, but apart from that, it has undergone the usual maintenance only. The reel has handled that many fish, but 8kg Kingies and 1m+ Barra are but 2 of the probable thousands it has subdued.

Brings back memories of a photo in an old fishing mag of an angler struggling to hold up a 25+kg Cobia, with a Calcutta 200 baitcaster outfit in one hand. Nice effort.