Shimano Or Daiwa

kevvie

Just trying to get some different opinions on which brand you fishos think is superior in the reel dept. In my opinion i think that Shimano and Diawa are head and shoulders above the rest. But which is the stand-out performer.

I've always thought Shimano but now i might be leaning toward Daiwa.

Any reel size in the spinning dept to narrow the discussion down a little.

So which one?

I think it mostly all comes down to personal prefrence. I own both Daiwa and Shimano reels. None of them super duper top of the tree...but sufficient for my needs. You will find good points and bad points in any two reels that you put side by side. Some say that a Shimano will ossicilate a lot slower, while at the same time a Daiwa will lay braid a lot better on the spool! And it can go on ad-nauseam with all the techno-hype that comes with reels. :wacko:

I think mostly it will come down to price. I don't class myself as a tight wad....but....I will buy on price.

A perfect example is an Okuma that I purchased not long ago. I bought an Eclipz. I was looking at the Shimano Spheros, SS innards and so forth. Well guess what! Its ONLY a SS shaft. Wheras the Eclipz has SS shaft AND gears! So value for money was also thrown into the equation.

I realise you wanted a choice from just the Daiwa and Shimano, but I just wanted to point out to you, that you shouldn't have a blinkered view of whats available. :thumbup:

Just trying to get some different opinions on which brand you fishos think is superior in the reel dept. In my opinion i think that Shimano and Diawa are head and shoulders above the rest. But which is the stand-out performer.

I've always thought Shimano but now i might be leaning toward Daiwa.

Any reel size in the spinning dept to narrow the discussion down a little.

So which one?

66601[/snapback]

Lurespinner in my opinion the Stradic is streaks ahead of the Capricorn

Lurespinner in my opinion the Stradic is streaks ahead of the Capricorn

66623[/snapback]

I pulled down a Symetre the other day, and if that is anything to go by then I agree. It was so well built it wasn't funny. And seeing the Stradic is UP from that, then I would expect it to be better. :thumbup:

Shimano all the way. Great reels, great range and great service :thumbup:

Have heard of a few issues with corrosion on Daiwa reels.......even on the big Saltiga :wacko:

Red

66642[/snapback]

Daiwa all the way excepting baitrunners. They are an exceptional reel from shimano and no one can match this reel. I own only 2 shimano reels and thats a baitrunner and a computer 1000. The rest are mainly daiwa.

Never heard of the issue with the saltigas and i myslef have never had any problems with my Z6500 Gt and neither have any of my friends that own one. Interesting.

Have a play with both but if it were me i would be getting a capricorn oven a stradic anyday.

Maybe i should pull my head out of the sand and try a modern day Daiwa eggbeater :074: . I'm sure they've picked up their act, as the Daiwa reels i've had in the past have all ended up in the same place...........the cemetary :074:

Red

I have been fortunate enough to explore most of the tackle available from both Daiwa and Shimano in Japan. My wife is japanese, so we go back fairly often ...which means great tackle shopping for me!!

Both companies have excellent reputations in Japan and produce great products but over recent years Daiwa has certainly overtaken Shimano in terms of quality and innovation. Stella aside, Shimano does not really compare to Daiwa in the small to medium class threadline market. The Shimano's are very smooth,but in terms of ball bearings, bail arm design, maximum drag force and spool design, Daiwa are years ahead. The pro circuit in Japan is dominated by Daiwa.

My workhorse spinning real is a Certate 3500 HD. Not cheap, esp here in Oz but you do get what u pay for.

Regardless, having the best gear in the world is useless if you don't know the fundamentals of fishing.

Good luck

PS - Members might want to look up www.plat.co.jp to see what sort of crazy gear is available

I posted this topic knowing full well that both brands would recieve a favourible review. I guess what inspired me to ask this question was that i was using my stradic and Diawa laguna the other day and these reels have a price difference of about $80 to $100(shimano being more expensive). I finished the day feeling that i got more satisfaction using the cheeper Daiwa than my beloved shimano. It ain't as good as my stella, but for the price difference you wouldn't expect it to be.

Thanks for your feedback everybody...

From a sales point of view, shimano advertise and plug a hell of alot more than anyone else. We sell more shimanos than daiwa, I rarely see any of the better models back for warrenty. I myself am a daiwa fan, but when you sell alot of one make you tend to get great discounts, reason why i now leaning towards shimano as better value for money (for me) hence my resent puchases of tld 20, 4500 an 6500 baitrunners, and soon to be tld50. Quatum did get a mention, and had the rep instore last week. I have to say they are awesome reels on paper and in store. They claim that no further engineering if capable of bettering there product! In other words the engineered to the MAX! They certainly have the goods with ceramic drag and titanium bailarm. Time will tell, we`ve just commited to a huge range of quantum and zebco.

Dan

I think most of the fellas allude to the same thing. pick the right reel for the right situation. as many have said the shimano baitrunners are fantastic reel, i have the 3500 and find it to be a flexible and reliable outfit. saying that i have just got a daiwa caldia 2500 from our friends at penriths ABA and it is fantastic reel. i think both brands produce fantastic products, and as they say horses for courses.

• 1 month later...

well i agree with your statement.i own 3 stellas,4,6,and 10.bought my partner a new spinner for fishing,got one daiwa force 3500 and believe me it kicks some serious butt for it's size. i then bought a blacksheep 300 for myself,brillent reel for jig.matched again with saltiga hirmasa rod.your right about quality of daiwa....by way,mr.harada is good-man.recently bought SHIMANO ocea freeman for med surf.this is were i go to see whats coming down the line............again,take the time to look outside thje picture!!!ta

Here's my two cents worth,

Have always been a Shimano fan since I was a little tacker, and still am at 41. The only reel that I dont really like is the 2500 Sahara that I have, it doesnt lay braid well at all, seems to oscillate too fast.

Having said that, I have 2 x 1000FA Stellas, 1 x 1000FD Sustain, 2 x 1000FH Stradics, 1 x 750FI Symetre and another 1000FB Stella on its way. NOT ONE PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THEM AND THEY HAVE BEEN FISHED HARD ALL YEAR.

All they need is a bit of TLC each time they are used, fresh water aint expensive and a dab of oil occasionally.

Footnote: I received a Browning 1010 in a prize pack from an ABT round and spooled it with 4lb braid for "chick.com" and she loves it, just quietly for a cheap end reel, it has a very very smooth drag. It sings as good as the top end Shimanos, I intend to borrow it and see how good it really is.

Will be looking for a big size spinning reel for a reef trip away next year and mates in the know have told me the 6500 Saltigas will outperform the 20000 Stellas, hope I dont have to step accross to the dark side. Anyone shed some light on this.

Cheers,

Craig.

Alot of boys that i know who spin up tuna, giant GT's etc etc say that the stellas (20000FA) have bend and broken under the constant excessive drag pressure. The saltigas have stood up to the punishment and then some. Now the technology from these reels have filtered down to the little spin reels you see on the market today.. certates, sol, luvius and so forth

i wonder if fisherman like hemingway and the like ever had these problems??daiwa and shimano are good companies but when does the tehnical stuff stop?example calcutta 250 dc[circuit board]in a fishing reel?i remember when i went from a fisherman to an angler!i once had the privlege of watching a coco's islander in a rusted v-hull doing battle with matlin with 200# mono by hand and land it and same man land a giant of a green warese bigger than the man himself,those moments are burned into my mind,not magnesium alloy,godzilith strand braid,spaceage graphite used on spaceshuttle,etc,etc,etc.anyway just what i think before i cork out for exist,not because it's the best but because i can enjoy my fishing that i love longer till the swell is no more!!!!