Botany Bay Kings

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

today i headed out for a fish with the old man at botany bay.

We spent a good 30 minutes at the breakfast table tossing and turning over wether we should head out to Sydney or Botany Bay. By this time it was already 7am so we decided Botany given that we would be guaranteed a parking space for the car and trailer. ( spent 40 minutes last month waiting at Drummoyne)

we finally hit the water at around 8am and headed straight for the tugs to gather some yakkas. they were very thin and far between but we managed a few and with a couple in the tank we headed over to molinox pt, as we arrived i saw three different boats hooked up, one busted off and two landed rat kings. i was instantly pumped !! down went the yakkas and within 15 minutes the rod buckled over and line screamed off the reel. after a good fight a little rat king came aboard at 56cm, he had swollowed the hooks pretty deep so i cut the leader and off he went, hel either grow bigger or end up as fishfood! a great hard fighting fish which gave a good account of itself.

dad was using whole pillies and was blown away when he almost had the rod ripped out of his hand a little while later, after a struggle and we managed to boat another rat king slightly bigger at 58cm. a quick picture with dad for his first king and he was stoked ( the smile says it all ).

after that the kings went off the bite, so we decided to go for a troll, we threw out the rapalas and headed towards bare island, it wasnt long before something had a go but no line peeling off, only some small tugs? i was pretty shocked to see a trev come up with the treble hook in his mouth, that XRAP is about half his size! greedy bugger. he also went back in the drink to fight another day

we kept trolling for a half hour for nothing then anchored up over what seemed to be a patch of reef, we kept catching what i assume are reef fish, i didnt know if they were edible or not so they all went back in the drink, can anyone ID these fish please?

all in all a great day, no keepers but still good fun

great to see the kings in botany bay so early, i think were up for a cracker summer

post-34022-0-19244900-1417345447_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-57914500-1417345454_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-77037900-1417345460_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-70117600-1417345470_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-86542300-1417345476_thumb.jpg

Nice report mate, hope the bigger kings are amongst the rats. Both the maori and the crimson banded wrasse are edible, The crimson banded is very nice eating, the Maori tastes nice but has a very soft flesh so i don't like it as much unless it's going into fish cakes :)

nice work, both are edible in fact there is only a handful of species in nsw waters that are inedible. Having said that, we chuck them both back the maori wrasse are too soft and the crimson wrasse are a bit bony, cube the fillets so you can get rid of the bones and put in thai red curry goes alright.

No limits on the wrasse for size. Crimson bands are amazing eating if you cook them right, very quick shallow fry! Also they're amazing to fillet up and use as bait!

Goingfishing- snapper, flatties is think even the odd Jew? Fresh fish is the best!

That's really interesting il be sure to give it a try

I caught a maori wrasse off the rocks many moons ago. Didn't know what it was so asked another bloke who was fishing nearby. His reply was - 'it's a butchers mate - a butchers pr..k". Confirmed here: http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/260

Haha well I'm sure that would have set your mood for the rest of the day