Drive on Trailer Guide.

Paikea

As readers of my earlier posts would know I have been looking at means of adding a guide system to my trailer to make it easier to drive my 5.6M Tournament onto the Trailer.

I received a lot of helpful suggestions from numerous Raiders including Ian Bat offering to teach me how to drive the boat on.

Since then I have had fabricated a 45 x 45 mm steel guide system that slides into the existing tubes of my trailer. Picked it up from a local welder today, did a great job.

I have a large self- centring roller at the front of the guide that will guide the bow onto the wobble rollers. The plan is to place the guide into the trailer tubes and then pull the boat into the guide to find the optimum spot for the roller. Once that has been determined I will drill a hole through one of the trailer tubes and the guide inside that tube and fit a swivel pin that will allow me to quickly install and remove the guide. If it all works out I may even leave it in place.

I have ordered some 45 x 45 "C" section rubber to cover the square steel "V" which should prevent any damage to the gel coat of the boat.

Cheers

Paikea

Frame is rock solid.

Showing how the frame slides into the existing Trailer tubes.

Lot of people drives their boat on/off the trailer and there is different techniques people use. my Rule of thumb is my trailer wheel covers must just stick out of the water any time . if I Launch my boat by myself (Quintrex 5.8 Spirit) I can Reverse the boat off no Problem . when I drive the boat On same again the wheel cover must be just out of the water and drive the boat on when its nearly on. I leave the motor in forward gear just idling and go up and hook the boat on the trailer to winch it on ( so the Boat wont role of the trailer before its secured on to trailer) and turn engine off tilt engine than chain it then drive . like I say everyone got different techniques, I like to her from others of theirs techniques .

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

Lot of people drives their boat on/off the trailer and there is different techniques people use. my Rule of thumb is my trailer wheel covers must just stick out of the water any time . if I Launch my boat by myself (Quintrex 5.8 Spirit) I can Reverse the boat off no Problem . when I drive the boat On same again the wheel cover must be just out of the water and drive the boat on when its nearly on. I leave the motor in forward gear just idling and go up and hook the boat on the trailer to winch it on ( so the Boat wont role of the trailer before its secured on to trailer) and turn engine off tilt engine than chain it then drive . like I say everyone got different techniques, I like to her from others of theirs techniques .

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

Years ago I had a glass boat which I drove on the bunked trailer.

I made up a floating rope with a eyelet that was attached to the rear starboad side of the trailer.

To launch I'd back her in to the required depth, undo winchstrap, remove safety chain, lower/start engine, power fwd, realese rope from rear cleat, back off trailer.

To retrieve I'd drive on within a few feet of the winchpost, grab that rope and throw it over the starboard cleat, switch off engine, raise leg, winch rest of way connect safety chain, drive away.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I don't really see how this helps though? Is this because it is blue and you have like a runway lit up in the water for you to see where you have to line it up?

I love your analogy Dave, "Flaps down, throttle back, right rudder," Yeah!

I have seen similar guides used by pro fishermen in Darwin where I got the idea to try and adapt it to my boat. The V frame will allow the bow of the boat to be guided onto the rear set of wobble rollers with the roller at the front of the V merely starting the bow onto the wobble rollers which will then take the weight of the boat as is driven onto the trailer.

As the whole length of boat will be in the water the front roller will not take a lot of weight, once it has helped to guide the bow onto the wobble rollers it should lose contact with the keel of the boat. The key will be sliding the frame in until I get it to the position where the above takes place. I plan to do that by experimenting at the ramp until I get it right. Then mark the location of the V frame where it slides into the trailer tubes and then drilling through the left hand Trailer Tube and leg of the V frame to fit a 10mm SS pin to hold the frame in place.

My thoughts are the centre roller might actually make it harder to drive on.

They way your trailer is currently set up will allow the boat to self centre on the trailer

I have tried to drive the boat onto the Trailer and came unstuck big time due to a significant cross current and wind.

Also, I have witnessed a few people driving their boat onto their Trailer with an apparent disregard for damaging the gel coat on the bow of their boat. (Badly scratched). I like to keep my boat in top condition so the idea is that the V frame will allow me to approach the frame from a fairly wide angle with the V then straightening the boat and guiding the bow as detailed above.

I am fitting a Boat Catch to help with launching and retrieving single handed. More expensive that the Boat Latch type however that required modifications of the winch post whereas the Boat Catch will fit onto the existing post without and problems.

Like most of us I enjoy working on my boats and have "pimped" every one that I have ever owned. (11 from memory). So this is an experiment that hopefully will work out. Time will tell, if it does not work I will not have spent a great deal of money so worth having a go.

Cheers

Paikea

Hope it works well ( I'll have to come down the ramp with a couple of beers when you're practicing and shout words of encouragement ;) )

I know from experience with you that she can be a little temperamental finding centre bringing it on a winch with a little side current. Hopefully this will make life a lot easier.

On a separate note. I thinks it's time we went fishing!

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Hope it works well ( I'll have to come down the ramp with a couple of beers when you're practicing and shout words of encouragement ;) )

I know from experience with you that she can be a little temperamental finding centre bringing it on a winch with a little side current. Hopefully this will make life a lot easier.

On a separate note. I thinks it's time we went fishing!

Of course it will work, and you watch, success has many parents, failure but one. Gee that sounds confident doesn't?

Re fishing, Amen to that!

If your shoulder is up to it let me know and we will go out.

After my NZ debacle I need a fish fix. Your call where we go.

Jockler are you in?

Cheers Guys

Paikea

Hey Pak,

Apologies I have been totally out of action and will be now through to Christmas.

But we will close the Roadrunner doors on the 24th and reopen on the 5th Jan.

January is traditionally quiet for us, so I do also have a few days here and there.

So would be up to spending some time practicing driving on and off then, if you like

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looks good but I always thought the rear wobble rollers were the guide to center up the boat,why do you need a guide to guide up the guide?

Also on a bad day what is stopping the bow from running into the metal frame and damaging the hull.

Edited by wher'd all the fish go

The V will be covered in a "C" section polyurethane buffer. The intention is to have the bow in contact with the buffer to straighten the run up onto the wobble rollers.

The wide opening of the V is intended to allow a more angled approach onto the trailer as might happen in a sideway current or strong wind. The theory sounds good, see how it comes out. May be I will end up with egg on my face if it does not work.

On the positive side I note that some trailer manufacturers are offering a similar V guides albeit set further forward than mine. The V is currently being hot dipped galvanised, I already have the buffer section so should be assembling it all next week. Together with fitting the Boat Catch unit which also arrives next week. Wish me luck!

Cheers

Paikea

Ian Bat, on 05 Dec 2014 - 6:53 PM, said:

Hi Hank,

Yep,will give you a call. Ramp location doesn't worry me......as long as it's in the shire! Or at least close to it. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Ian, look forward to it.

Paikea