Pittwater

Sammy J

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this site but reading through the other forums seem like some people know what they are talking about!

I need some advice. My boyfriend and I (yes i am a girl...) will be going out to Pittwater on Sunday morning and have never fished this area before.

Any tips for this area?? I usually fish in the Hawkesbury or Brissy Waters (got a holiday house at Pretty Beach).

Mainly after Flatty's, any advise would be appreciated!! I understand trolling is popular in this area??

Sam

hey sammy and welcome!

yeah go to west head for live bait! then drop then down anywhere from there to flint and steele or barrenjoey, may come accross some rampaging kingies or salmon if ur lucky! even a jew from flint!

trolling in pittwater can be quite rewarding lots of tailor and salmon are one the bite from time to time 2. and kingies are in pittwater to feed so there is a chance for one of them 2! use rapala lures in pittwater, rapala magnums!

good luck

Like J.D. said for flattys. And if you go a bit further north, just behind the Barrenjoey lighthouse, you should be able to get some squid of the weed beds there. This time last year I picked up a few HUGE Southern Calamari!

If the yakka's in front of west head are a bit skittish then chances are their are a few kingies around. When this happens I normally put my first yakka out in this area and generally get a hit when I am getting bait.

I also have a mate who fishes the drop off near the red marker pole in the middle of pittwater (northern part of pittwater, opposite mackeral beach, there is only one marker pole.... go about 20 metres south and 30 metres east if you have no sounder to get close to his drop/hole).

he recons that on the change of tide he gats a few good flatties and bream out of there. (he's fed me on a few occaisions so he must do alright out of it!!!)

Trolling up the western side from the basin, heading south generally gets a hit or two from kingies or tailor as well.. in this area i tend troll as slow as the boat will go, but drag them along a bit when i get a hit (A little like a marlin strike, but without the $'s),

i find they tend to like the slower lure in the bay, but don't connect up to it well unless I drag them along a little bit...

(Put a bit of speed on the lures if your near barrenjoey)

Also between the western tip of Barrenjoey and westhead is a good place to keep an eye out for salmon, I find the rising tide best.

Hope it help's..