Good Combo For Soft Plastics

robthefisherman

Hi Guys

Just waiting on the tax man to send my refund back and I thought I'd get myself a decent combo to chuck plastics around and was wondering what you guys would recomend. I don't want to spend megabucks maybe a couple of hundred bucks.

I want something that will cast thise tiny little jig heads around as most of my gear is medium action stuff and needs a bit of weight to cast any distance and the light gear I've got is pretty low quality deaprtment store stuff that the kids play with.

I've also been told that you need to use braid for sp's and as I've never used the stuff before is there anything I should know like do you use the same knots and stuff you do with mono and I also notice that most people use a mono leader with the braid is this nescessary?

:074::074::074: Frk rob you sound bored you wanna go for a fish this arvo just a spin sesh i have a nice spin stic you can borrow if you like the reel is spooled with braid as well so you can get a feel for it and see what vall the hype is about

im putting the new battler into service today ow yeah :thumbup:

PM if your keen mate its not spot x but should be just as good

I agree with Bung, I have a Berkley dropshot and a shimano Stradic with fireline and berkley vanish leader at a cost of around 350 all up. She casts effortlessly all day. I have lannded finiky bream, large faltties around 50cm + to 40 cm kingies.

i have strudwick rods and daiwa rods and I rckon te Bekley dropshot is the best value around.

Also great support. Snapped a tip (my fault) and the guys turned a brand new around in 24 hours. Thats service.

:074:  :074:  :074: Frk rob you sound bored you wanna go for a fish this arvo just a spin sesh i have a nice spin stic you can borrow if you like the reel is spooled with braid as well  so you can get a feel for it and see what vall the hype is about

im putting the new battler into service today ow yeah :thumbup:

PM if your keen mate its not spot x but should be just as good

66906[/snapback]

No can do this arvo mate, the :wife: got parent and teachers night and I'm looking after the little bloke but we will get together for a spin soon

Hey Rob I notice you dont live to far from me We could get together and Ill show you the gear I use for SPs which looks like its within your price range

66919[/snapback]

That sounds good mate we'll tee up a time :thumbup:

If I had around $250 and wanted to get a decent soft plastics outfit, here's what I'd go for:

Berkley Dropshot rod 1-3kg 7ft

Shimano Sahara 1000

Berkley Fireline 4 pound in pink or fluoro green 125yd

Berkley Vanish 4 pounds leader fluorocarbon

Berkley Vanish 6 pounds leader fluorocarbon

How to set it all up:

Tie on about a yard or 2 of some 6 pound mono line on the spool as backing before putting on the Fireline. This is because Fireline has no stretch and it doesn't grip the spool. Tie the Fireline to the mono using an albright knot and nip the excess. Fill up the spool with the Fireline. A 1000 size Shimano goes perfectly well with a 125yd spool of 4 pound Fireline without more than 2 yds of backing required. Any bigger the reel and you'll require more backing. Once full, join the Fireline to about 7 - 10 foot of the Vanish Leader using another Albright and its ready!

What are the stella ,stradic and squidgie spin rods like, my local tackle guy has a special on shimano this month he's got a stella coupled with a sedona se 1500rb for $169.00 reckon it's good value from what I've seen around this would normally retail araound $199.

Also want to buy something a bit heavier to try for jewies and kings on sp's so what would you recomend there? Gotta love tax refunds :yahoo:

What are the stella ,stradic and squidgie spin rods like, my local tackle guy has a special on shimano this month he's got a stella coupled with a sedona  se 1500rb for $169.00  reckon it's good value from what I've seen around this would normally retail araound $199.

Also want to buy something a bit heavier to try for jewies and kings on sp's so what would you recomend there?  Gotta love tax refunds :yahoo:

67412[/snapback]

:074::074::074:

your a true fisherman Rob, forget the :wife: , kids and bills...spend your spare dough on fishing gear :thumbup::thumbup:

:074:  :074:  :074:

your a true fisherman Rob, forget the  :wife: , kids and bills...spend your spare dough on fishing gear  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

67422[/snapback]

It was a decent refund Jewnut, the bills :wife: and kids have got dibs on their share as well then I've gotta put some away for a housebaot weekend with the boys up the hawkesbury in Nov as well a buy the paint and bits and pieces for the hardtop, sure don't go as far as I like, Oh well my bomus in coming up in Oct start making a list on how to spend that :yahoo: