Yakkas

gregh1

At the risk of hijacking the thread, we all know yakkas are a great bait fish, but what are they like as table fish. I only ask in case you have a great day's bait catching, but can't convert 'em into your target species. At least with a 50 bag limit, you might still have a feed, even if it's only hors d'oeuvres.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, we all know yakkas are a great bait fish, but what are they like as table fish. I only ask in case you have a great day's bait catching, but can't convert 'em into your target species. At least with a 50 bag limit, you might still have a feed, even if it's only hors d'oeuvres.

I have a friend who takes a gas stove with him, if he lands nothing within 30 minutes, he starts making himself some yakka fried sticks... Not my taste in seafood though..

they sell them at some fish shops, so someone must eat them. personally I only buy prawns and oysters , if I cant catch the fish , I dont deserve to eat it.

If I tried to do that I will never eat much fish. Great motivation tactic though.

Never eaten a yakka but years ago while attending the blesing of the fleet at nelson bay the crowd had burleyed up a massive school of slimeys due to the number of prawn heads and shells going into the drink.

A few handlines promptly appeared and as quick as they were being hauled in they were getting butterflied and popped onto a hot bbq.

Little squeeze of lemon and quite pleasant to.

Cheers

Andy

Shallow fried small yakkas (around 15cm) is a common delicacy in Mediterranean countries. Rub them with polenta, flour, pepper and salt mix and line them up in a pan in circle tiles in. Half cup of liquid cooking oil shallow frie for around 5 minutes each side. Bones are not a problem because they are too small and fried. Serve them thin sliced union and parsley mix top on it.

Sam