Bom forecasts

Rami

Light rain and overcast are my favourite conditions!

Then again... 70% change is high but you were surprised that it wasn't raining?

Let me phrase this in a different way... if you had a car that worked 70% of the time, when it didn't work would you be surprised?

Things to consider about weather reports: Most sites give the weather in hour blocks, say 9-12, 12-3, 3-6. If the rain was due at 9-12 but didnt come til 11:55 is the weather wrong? Wind can push things forward or slow things down, so where they have 20-22knt winds that variance of 2 knts can change a lot over a period of time and push weather in the wrong direction at a higher speed making the predicted weather miss the location you check..

Weather is so unpredictable... when fishing check it often, a wind change can make a really nice day into a deadly one.

I remember reading an article a long time ago that a Russian weather man was arrested and shot because he predicted the weather wrong 3 times in a week.

Hey Rami,

What the BOM mean by "70% Chance of Rain" is the rainfall that might occur at anytime of the day. It doesn't necessarily mean that it will be raining all day or at all, but that there is a 70% likeliness that it might start raining later on. I find a better website to use is Weatherzone. Weatherzone is an Australian website which uses data from the BOM and breaks it down for your local area.

For example say your were going to search up the weather for Wednesday, on the BOM website it will tell you the predicted Max. and Min. temp and predicted weather for the entire day. While over on Weatherzone if you click on "48h Forecast" it will breakdown the weather for Wednesday into 3h intervals (12AM, 3AM, 6AM, etc). Hope this information helps.

Cheers,

FishingGuy

Light rain and overcast are my favourite conditions!

Then again... 70% change is high but you were surprised that it wasn't raining?

Let me phrase this in a different way... if you had a car that worked 70% of the time, when it didn't work would you be surprised?

Things to consider about weather reports: Most sites give the weather in hour blocks, say 9-12, 12-3, 3-6. If the rain was due at 9-12 but didnt come til 11:55 is the weather wrong? Wind can push things forward or slow things down, so where they have 20-22knt winds that variance of 2 knts can change a lot over a period of time and push weather in the wrong direction at a higher speed making the predicted weather miss the location you check..

Weather is so unpredictable... when fishing check it often, a wind change can make a really nice day into a deadly one.

I remember reading an article a long time ago that a Russian weather man was arrested and shot because he predicted the weather wrong 3 times in a week.

Love that response Tef. Especially the Russian cure for inaccurate forecasts.

Cheers

Paikea

Around this time of year the rain tends to come in afternoon storms, and some of the weather apps will show that either in increasing rain chances at different times or by the temperature charts for the day. But with the time I have available if its a fishing day the weather might just dictate a location or a starting time, I am going anyway :)