Fishing off the Stones

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

A quick report, had an opportunity for an early morning fish and went out with my friend Chris fishing off the stones yesterday before work. As it was a last minute plan we didn't really have a huge amount of time to get organised. We decided to try Watsons Bay off the Stones and stopped at Rose Bay wharf early for some yakkas.

We got to our spot at around 6am and threw out one yakka under a balloon and another rod with a whole pillie on gang hooks and a float. It was really quiet for about 30 mins with the pillies being taken by pickers. After about 45 mins we heard the balloon pop and the line screaming off the reel with the yakka, it was only a short run and it end up being a small rat king, still good fun none the less and he went back to the water unharmed.

At this point we realised that in all the commotion wed knocked over the live bait bucket and our live bait wasn't really........alive anymore.....bugger. We decided to butterfly them as fresh bait and put them out and end up with two Bonito around 40cm. We packed up shortly after and headed for home to get ready for work.

A great way to start the day before work, wish I could do that more often.

Sam

post-34022-0-13676900-1419308119_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-68121900-1419308120_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-59624300-1419308122_thumb.jpg

My 2 cents worth - Bonita is very under rated and fabulous if prepared and cooked properly. Most importantly, bleed immediately and well. I find even 'massaging' the blood out helps. Then, if possible, put on ice. Fillet, skin and cut into large chunks. Dry, roll in flour and seasoning. Salt and pepper is fine. Then fry in 10mm of olive oil, turning until done, but not over cooked. I serve with a mango and tomatoe salsa which is insane. Give it a go. Cheers