Fluffchuckers Training/social Day

Guest bluecod

G'day all,

There seems to be a fair bit of interest from new flyrodders and an increasing amount of members with varying degrees of experience, no doubt some who wouldn't mind some casting tips from the more experienced.

Narralakes ran the last one at Narrabeen lagoon about 12 months or so ago and even though the fishing was tough it was a good day and about 8 of us either learnt to cast for the first time, got some good pointers to help otherwise mediocre performances, or scored their first duck. :074:

I've discussed it with Narra and he agrees it is about time for another Fluffchucker learn to Cast come social day.

What we need to know is:

1. if there is enough interest from those wishing to be taught to fly cast

2. if other members who can cast, can help out on the day with practical assistance or perhaps the loan of a fly rod or two for those members who don't have any gear.

Date - probably late October

Venue - Narrabeen Lakes [but different location]

Post it up guys if you wish to attend as a trainer, trainee or gear supplier or as in my case a bit of all three. We'll work out the finer details later.

I'm in! :thumbup:

If you wanted me to bring spin tackle to share, I have plenty. But alas my fly gear is limited to one crappy old rod. Hopefully I will have a new one by then anyway! :biggrin2:

My gosh, has it been a year already? Been alot of fishing between then and now. Good onya George for getting the post going, if anyone gets a hook stuck into them, you might need to be there Peter. Anyhow, thats heaps of interest already, I reckon we can meet at the park next to Lakeside Caravan Park this time, plenty of room to practise on the grass then walk to the channel and burley up some mullet, bream and blackfish, even some baby trevs, not to forget the ducks. Wonder if any of the sponsors want to chuck in any prizes...can anyone ask them? BTW, apart from your rods, you might need waders, clousers, bread flies for starters. Looking forward to the meet.

Anyhow, thats heaps of interest already, I reckon we can meet at the park next to Lakeside Caravan Park this time, plenty of room to practise on the grass then walk to the channel and burley up some mullet, bream and blackfish, even some baby trevs, not to forget the ducks.  Wonder if any of the sponsors want to chuck in any prizes...can anyone ask them? BTW, apart from your rods, you might need waders, clousers, bread flies for starters.  Looking forward to the meet.

67016[/snapback]

Yep. In a short period of time there has been plenty of interest, so let's aim for Sunday 30 October. Cast off say around 10.00 am - don't need an early start as this event is a tutorial on the basics and any fish caught in the practical session will be a bonus [besides some blokes will have a fair way to travel].

Provided there's no mutiny on the date, I'll post it in the Social columns over the weekend.

When doe's the Duck season open? Duck Teriyaki, Grated Ginger and shallots, any suggestions?

67016[/snapback]

Forget about the season Howard, if you prepare the duck, I'll bring the wraps for it :074::074:

Edited by bluecod

Sounds like a plan. I am only begginer but have the basics down pat. I have a 5wt and a 8wt fly rod. Love to participate. Narrabeen lagoon sounds like a perfect place. So easy to cut your teeth on a flat head or two or some mullet.

I could probably get some interest from the boys at BOHMS to maybe to show us how its done. They have a great wall of fame down there.

Hmmmm, even though I love stirring up rope throwers :biggrin2: I might have to have a go at the black art. Even if just to have an extra weapon in the arsenal when the sambos only want eyes!!! PS guys October seems to be prime time for jumbo whiting in Narra Lake. My fishing diary shows most of my lure caught 40cms-plus poor man's bonefish have come from Narra (though further up the back) in spring. So if any raiders are gonna make a day of it might wanna bring some of those bloodworm flies for the whiting. Cheers Bombie

I too will be up for this George.

Any salmon in Narralakes.... :biggrin2:

alex

67112[/snapback]

No salmon Alex,

only bream, mullet, garfish, blackfish, tailor, flathead, black trevally, silver trevally, whiting, herring, jewfish, rays, hairtail :tease: and ducks :074::074:

Hmmmm, even though I love stirring up rope throwers  .....Cheers Bombie

67112[/snapback]

and I think we have a self nominated target for the day :1prop:

16 starters so far :thumbup: Could be an opportunity for a sponsor to bring along a van full of fly gear, materials and bass flies/poppers as demo stock, meet some more of the raiders, have a bit of a yarn and demonstrate their casting skills. :thumbup:

Edited by bluecod

Good onya for volunteering your services guys, love to come and learn. Have not been out of the backyard since buying a fly rod.

Want to get the casting thing sorted before I take it out on the harbour and drill a fly into the back of my neck. Hope to be there.

John

i will be there, depending on two things...

1. if someone would be kind enough to lend me a fly rod? (ill bring my spastic plastic thrower for fun too)

2. where are the narralakes?

67156[/snapback]

Crazed

Hopefully there will be enough rods to go around, if not you can be assured of at least a reasonable turn on one

The location is at North Narrabeen