Do Expensive Squid Jigs Rip?

FishingGuy

Hey Raiders,

Just a quick question on the difference between cheap and expensive squid jigs. Regardless of all other factors, I always by cheapo squid jigs but notice after one or two trips the cloth rips of them. I was wondering if this is the same with the expensive ones???? (Yamashita, Daiwa, etc.)

Also would like to wish all raiders a very Happy New Year and I hope lots of fish are caught in 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

FishingGuy

For a lot of years I only used cheapies with the occasional Yozuri and then a couple of years back I bought a top shelf Gancraft just to see if it would improve my catch rate. I do a lot of squidding and I wont use anything but the best jigs these days - they are more durable and my catch rate improved markedly.

I'm not saying that cheapies won't produce squid, it's just a false economy to keep replacing them when the extra outlay will give you a jig that will last for ages and more than likely catch you more squid.

For a lot of years I only used cheapies with the occasional Yozuri and then a couple of years back I bought a top shelf Gancraft just to see if it would improve my catch rate. I do a lot of squidding and I wont use anything but the best jigs these days - they are more durable and my catch rate improved markedly.

I'm not saying that cheapies won't produce squid, it's just a false economy to keep replacing them when the extra outlay will give you a jig that will last for ages and more than likely catch you more squid.

Yes I agree with highlander.

I'm not sure if this will work, but I will try and post a pic of my favourite jigs. The 6 on the left and the bottom right are Gancraft UO-jya. They are smooth with no cloth covering and are real squid slayers. The only cloth covered are the orange Harimitsu (2nd from top on right) and the gold Gancraft below it.

post-35320-0-12894000-1420099267_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Mate I have found that the cheaper ones do have the cloth ripped off them more easily. Thats why I started buying yama's and yo's. A couple have been ripped but they would be atleast 3 yo and have had some monster squid sessions. They still seem to work ripped though. When I do start seeing a tear, I coat it with clear nail polish.

If you are worried about tears, yamashita definitely do, perhaps the other brands too, make smooth plastic jigs, like the ones highlander showed.

Maybe I should start a squid jig thread lol, with my collection, if my squid bag fell in the drink, I would be straight in after it lol.

Guest Aussie007

i can remember one night starting off with a new yo-zuri i never got a hit but pulled in my jig and it had a massive tear in the cloth :sun: i continued to use the jig and never noticed any effect

i only ever use orange or pink, have tried green and blue failed miserablly with each

Guest Aussie007

Thanks for the info guys, I might go get a few today. I was always hesitant in spending $20 for a jig that would tear after one session, but I guess i'll give it a go.

Cheers,

FishingGuy

i have a mate who swears by the $1, 3.5-4.5 size squid jigs one outting seen my mates bag some nice 30-35cm squid on those jigs all i caught was the bloody reef lost like 5 $1 jigs in around 15mins LOL

pay for quality and you'll catch quality moto

but it does suck when u loose a $20 jig especially if its your first night out

I'm going to try some squiding in Port Hacking on Sunday night when I go out with a mate as I have never caught a squid in Australia ever!! I have only ever caught them in one place and that was Bougainville, East of PNG and they were big and easy to catch. I was there as part of Operation Bel Isi II doing Peace Monitoring on the Island after they separated themselves from PNG and became their own nation. It was the best fishing I've ever done in my life and I got a medal for doing it!! LMAO

Guest Aussie007

forgot to add dont be sucked into buying yo-zuri and yamashita's off ebay unless its from a reputiable company, ive seen some deals 4 yo-zuri's for $25 surely they are immitations

Check out Diawa Nudes.No cloth to rip and only cost $12.00 each.

I've got a couple of the Emeraldas Nude and they work just as good as the higher priced Gancraft UO-jya.

I wasn't real convinced that the abalone shell gizmo on the back of the jig was really anything more than a marketing ploy to lure the buyer and not necessarily the squid, but after testing it on some very timid squid I believe that it has merit.

Jeff

• 3 months later...

I recently tried out the Esmeraldas Nude. Couldn't comment on the catch rate since this happened to it after 15mins of use. Happened when it hit the rocks during a not so graceful retrieve.

Just be careful with the weights. Its made of die cast metal(not lead and wire) so it won't be as forgiving.37bd6d75536db7ae20932e85c585de9b.jpg

Edited by guimaras

Been using the Emeraldas Nudes for a little while now and have never had a weight snap like that guimaras?

The other jig I have been using a lot of lately are the Rapala Ikado range with the interchangeable nose weights, been rather impressed by them.

Cheers

Windy

Guys don't get sucked Into paying $20 for a yamishita there's plenty of tackle shops that sell the entire yamishita range starting from$8 for the suite r. Also have daiwa,shimano, black magic jigs.

If intrested me for the names of the shops

• 2 weeks later...

Been using the Emeraldas Nudes for a little while now and have never had a weight snap like that guimaras?

The other jig I have been using a lot of lately are the Rapala Ikado range with the interchangeable nose weights, been rather impressed by them.

Cheers

Windy

Could be a one-off with mine then. I also have a pair of ikado. I haven't tested them extensively yet so could not comment...but I do like the idea of changeable weights.

Right now, my go-to jigs are harimitsus. Their color range is really good. Jigs are quality too. They are quite pricey here but I order mine from japan for AU$9 a jig, plus 10 bucks shipping. Last order I did on a friday morning, got it monday morning. Not bad.

Another cheap but decent jig are black magic. They have a starter kit on special at BLAH BLAH BLAH now. $37.50 for 6 squid jigs, 2 rolls of leader and a beanie. I always carry these to use on spots which I haven't fished before. That way, it won't be as costly when you lose it.