Stockton last week

Dave_

G'day Raiders,

Been busy so this report is a little late. Went to Stockton last week to try my luck at a jew or pelagic or anything haha. Got set up and got a few yakkas and sent them out, I was trying out my new Saltist 6500h and Sensor Surf 10-20kg.

The livies got smashed...but not by Jewies, by red rock cod at 40+cm! We got 3 at this size, I've never seen them this big before! They were definitely big enough to keep for a feed but as I'm not sure of how to prepare them (poisonous?) I let them go.

Things went real quiet until a big explosion of whitebait erupted at my feet. We quickly tied on small metals and had 15 minutes of mayhem on the Tailor with the bream sticks. They weren't huge, smallest went 32cm so I kept a couple for bait and a few for a feed because my mate loves em.

After that, a different, faster moving bust up occurred in front of me at the end of the wall. I knew they weren't Tailor but I wasn't sure what they were. They wouldn't touch my 20g gold halco twisty but suddenly a guy near me gets smoked on his bream rod using a tiny whitebait profile metal. He quickly threw an identical lure on his bigger rod and landed a big Bonito. Looked 60+cm. Within 5 minutes, the Bonnies were gone.

I threw out a few ganged pillies at the end of the wall and landed 4 or 5 Flatties all at 33cm! That was annoying until I landed a decent one at 46cm. I also caught a weird little shark I've never seen before. Any ideas?

I couldn't stay for the evening change of tide due to other commitments but the Jewies are around right now. All the Jew guys are getting them. A 36kg and 37kg pair got landed off the beach a couple of nights ago. The yakka schools are chasing whitebait up the beach so the bait and fish are easier to find.

Cheers

Dave

post-32123-0-84982900-1420431296_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-42066600-1420431311_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-02217300-1420431329_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-07658700-1420431349_thumb.jpg

post-32123-0-95747200-1420431362_thumb.jpg

Well done dave! The wall at Stockton certainly does produce some good fish. That shark you caught is a blind shark. Many of them up here and it means your bait was on the bottom.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Yeah cheers mate, at least I know my bait was where I wanted it!

Nice report mate and fish!, always wanted to give stockton a go and i think you have given me some inspiration.

Im also looking at the TD Sensor surf, did you go the 13 foot model? how did it cast and did you find you could cast big weights with it?

Also, if fishing the beach, is a 4X4 a must or can you access it by walking? I heard the wreck is hours away if your on foot.

Cheers mate, all the best.

Nice report mate and fish!, always wanted to give stockton a go and i think you have given me some inspiration.

Im also looking at the TD Sensor surf, did you go the 13 foot model? how did it cast and did you find you could cast big weights with it?

Also, if fishing the beach, is a 4X4 a must or can you access it by walking? I heard the wreck is hours away if your on foot.

Cheers mate, all the best.

Yeah mate I've got the 1302HRS 10-20kg 90-180g cast weight. At one point I used a 50 gram sinker with a 33cm Tailor frame with the head on minus the fillets and it casted well with 50lb braid. The rod feels light in the hand but it feels strong loaded up. I can't wait to give it a serious test.

If you have a look at one, don't be alarmed by the super long butt on them as they're designed to be cut down to suit. The long butt is great for casting imo and I won't be cutting mine. It's only a bit of a pain if you're holding the rod all day which you're not likely to do (not me anyway)

Just be aware that a new model released this week, Sensor Surf IZM. I was going to wait for this but due to all the good reviews for this one, I decided to get it.

As for the beach, a 4wd is the go mate. You don't need anything special, just take all the usual precautions and you'll be sweet. At least this way, if one gutter isn't producing you can move on quickly. The beach is bloody long mate. Oh, don't forget a permit.

Cheers

Dave

Awesome Dave,

thanks for that. I too was going to wait for the new model but heard this one is a beast.

Unfortunately i dont have a 4x4 so might have to focus my attention on the breakwall.

Glad to hear it casts well, looking forward to your reports,

Cheers Stan

Hi Dave , not even one bream this time ? i thought that they are always around there .

Haha, yeah mate the bream are always there! My young bloke landed one that looked around 27cm but we weren't really targeting them. I also seen a lady land 2 thumpers.