How do you berley when you cast 50m out?

chokpa

I always read about the importance of berley, but i've never quite understood who you're able to berley when your bait is 50m away.

The berley bucket (minced fish, pellets etc) is at my feet, I cast the bait 50m away because there is a drop off around there. Do i just trust that the berley will canvas the whole general area? Or does the berley act as 'structure' and it should be productive to fish closer?

Or is it the idea that the berley attracts fish from 200m away and they will get a bit closer to my 50m bait?

Would love to get to the bottom of this..

Cheers

If you are sparingly using the berley just enough so you're not feeding the fish then it should attract them to the general area. Its just the same as berleying in a boat, if the water below is 50m deep and and I have berley coming off the back of the boat, then the berley is definitely canvasing the general area as my bait will be just below and infront of the berley trail.

I guess the point is to make the fish come around hungry and interested and get them to look for the bigger edible food which is going to hopefully be your bait.

So you reckon its effective even at the ranges im talking about? Hmm.. My theory is that the currents when fishing from shore take the smell out at 45 degree angles (to the shore) so its effectiveness when your bait is 50m out at a 90 degree angle is pretty stunted.

I guess to cover a greater distance you want something oilier

Guest no one

open-feeder.jpg

Modify a cage feeder to block the ends, add in something that smells really fishy (fresh fish guts with some pellets) cast it out!

Guest no one

Yeah, pretty spot on. Cage feeders are used heavily in UK fishing mainly in lakes, you pack them full of "berley" and cast them out. Attached to your line they act as a weight too on a running rig. To use them in the surf id attach them as an extra weight and not the only weight as it would be too light.

You can get those things that people use to throw balls for dogs (most pet stores will have them). It's basically an arm with a cup at the end. If you can mush up your berley into a fairly solid ball, this might work.

Failing that, maybe a slingshot?

Even then, no way I could throw remotely far enough to where i'm casting. Better then at my feet I guess. I have bought the berley cages and will try them. I hope it doesnt attract a fat bunch of pickers though!

Even then, no way I could throw remotely far enough to where i'm casting. Better then at my feet I guess. I have bought the berley cages and will try them. I hope it doesnt attract a fat bunch of pickers though!

If you make berley balls at home and freeze them to the size of tennis or gold balls you could throw them pretty far with the method iamthecowgodmoo mentioned.

I just throw everything into the bucket and let the current do all the work.