Guest bluecod

Gunna try and get down just to meet all you guys

Hope to see you all there :wife:

Laurie :1fishing1:

by the way Blue

Hope you enjoyin your birthday

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile::1prop:

Laurie

Laurie - be good to see you down there and thanks - todays been brilliant :beersmile::beersmile:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest bluecod

Time to start the reminders!

1, Australian Bass Angler has generously donated a prize of an 8 weight combo [rod, reel. spare spool, backing, WF8F line and a rod tube]. I've loaded the backing and line onto the reel so the winner can get a chance to use it - its a great little package and would make an excellent first rod or backup outfit Great effort ABA :thumbup:

This prize is open to all Fishraiders in attendance at 10.30 am being the time of the draw - if you've wandered off, bad luck, it'll go to the next name drawn out.

2. Bring whatever you like but the following items will help you enormously.

- sunglasses [these are actually a must to protect from hooks embedded in eyeballs]

- bread flies [spares will be available on the day] or clousers if you want to chase lizards.

- some bread for burley [ I'll bring a large bag donated by my local bakery]

- waders if you have them, otherwise some old sandshoes to protect from oyster shell cuts

- something to eat and drink [there are fast food outlets and a milk bar near by]

- personal items such as hats, sunscreens, bandaids, incontinence pads etc

- something to sit on, as you require.

3. A fly rod - please bring spares, if you have them, for other Raiders to learn on [weight doesn't matter - its the concept that's important]

4. If you are an experienced fur and feather man, bring an assortment of flies [both salt and fresh] to give the learners an idea of what to use in different situations.

5. Big-Pete and Target are going to bring their vises to give us an idea of how to tie flies.

Narralakes has kindly offered to give a demonstration/group lesson and a number of others have also offered their assistance in handing out casting tips.

Narra may be a bit pressed for time so it is proposed to have a half hour group lesson starting from 10.45, in which time you will get a pretty good idea of what to do. If the other experienced blokes could wander around during this lesson and provide assistance where it is needed, it would be greatly appreciated.

After the lesson, we will hit the lake a nd put the lesson into practise, again experienced blokes might like to take a number of beginners under their wing and provide some practical advice during the morning. Due to the large numbers attending it may be necessary for some blokes to walk around the other side of the channel so there is room - it is not far.

Lunch and finish time is completely random - lets hope Huey, the weather god, is happy and is kind to us.

I'll be down there before the main mob arrives - look for a red pennant [undies, bit of bed sheet or whatever, on a pole]

Guest bluecod

Bluecod - put me down as a trainee please. I will be along to keep an eye on my husband- and to learn of course.

Got you down Roe :1welcomeani: to the site :thumbup:

and which lucky victim do you associate with? :chair:

Granpop - unlucky in one sense but good to catch up with the young'un - next time :thumbup:

As George was saying, it may be crowded when everyone goes for a fish. from the meeting spot, if everyone spreads out, it might be safer for everyone, flycasting takes a bit of space. From the sand flats adjacent to the grass area, walk out to the edge of the flats, watch out and dont fall in the channel, waders fill up fast. There is quite a large area to fish from, from the western side of the flats all the way down to the boat ramp, about 150 metres long, fish anywhere there for bream, tailor, mullet, lizards, trevs and blackfish (bring some weed flies as well as the breaddies and clousers and charlies). Have a wander along the wall, ie past the boat ramp heading east, just at the caravan park, wade in the flats there, there's are couple of holes. If you want to get away, walk across the bridge about 100 metres, turn right at the first street and find the path to the flats opposite to where everyone will be starting from, there are some nice weedbeds and holes on that side where lizards and blackfish are. If you are bringing your yak or tinnie, there's a million places.

If you have a moment, check out the article on Narrabeen Lakes (lagoon) on Ken's website, there's more spots and a map there.

Dont forget, we'll be fishing in the middle of the day, so fish might be a bit timid, plus with maybe 30+ people whipping up the water, it might pay to spread out a little. Might be a challenge to hook up, so dont be disappointed if you dont catch one first time up, it took me 3 months b4 I caught my first fish on fly. I'm sure alot of you guys will catch a fish on the day though.

Just a few tips. When you feel a fish on, dont lift the rod like you would a spin stick or bait rod, on the retrieve (stripping back line) have the tip of the rod just in or above the water, when striking, leave the rod parallel to the water then pull the line back and then lift the rod slightly, we'll explain more on the day.

Should be a fun day, well organised George, looking forward to seeing everyone.

Bluecod - put me down as a trainee please. I will be along to keep an eye on my husband- and to learn of course.

:1welcomeani: Roe :thumbup:

Sounds like a fishy name, I'm sure you'll egg your husband on :074::074:

Edited by cajun

Guest bluecod

Update on how's it going

Date - 30 October 2005 [sunday] Time 10.00 am

Venue - Narrabeen Lagoon

Location - eastern carpark grassed area, off Lake Park Road North Narrabeen.

Also bring:

- waders [if you have them],

- a loaf of bread for burley,

- sunglasses [for eye protection - I kid you not],

- bread flies - both floating and slow sinking - tied on a No.8 hook or clousers if you're after flathead.

- Food and drink, although there are fast food joints/milk bars close by.

Note: Lots of grassed playing areas at this location and also close to beach so bring the cheese and kisses and billy lids down for a picnic.

Right now we have;

Bluecod - Trained + 2 spare rods

Narralakes - Trainer + spare rod

Fishn - Trainee [own rod]

Swoffa - Trainer + spare rod

Ankles - Trainee

Bluefin - Trained [own rod]

MarkD - Trainee

Pogo - Trainer + spare rod

Jocool - Trainee [own rod]

Lurespinner - Trainee

Agent X - Trained own rod with advice

Yellow submarine - Trained

Alexit - Trained - own rod with advice

Jewel - Trainee [own rod]

Bombora - Trainee [own rod]

Blood Knot - Trainee [own rod]

Crazedfisherdude - Trainee

Madsmc - Trainee [own rod]

Phil - Trainee [own rod]

Subynick - Trained own rod with advice

Target - Trained + spare rod

Harold - Trainee

Big-Pete - Demonstrator of fly tying + mate [beginner]

Knapers - Trainee

Pedro ?? - Surgeon

Nick S - Trainee [own rod + spare??]

Kingy is coming down to say G'day

Cap'n - Trainee

Lightweight - Trainee [own rod]

Hiramasa + 2 mates [own rods] Trainees

Boppa [to lend moral support] :beersmile:

Fishaman635

Roe - Trainee and riding shotgun!

xbox-guru - Trainee

Gutsy - own rod + spare

Looks like we're going to be short a few rods again - please bring along as many as you can [30 or 31?? for 33]

I'll bring down some spare bread flies for those who can't get a hold of some

Edited by bluecod

Guest bluecod

George, including my new rod, I have 2! A 7/8 WT, and my new 9 WT. I will bring both!

Thanks Joe :thumbup: but I think still leaves us just short - never mind, we're a caring, sharing lot :1yikes:

Guest bluecod

Folks, the resident Surgeon would like to spend a bit of time with his feet in the water and because of the numbers of fluffchuckers of various abilities flinging sharp pieces of metal around in close proximity to each other, we would not like to see a major [or minor] incident.

It would be appreciated if you could fold the barbs over on the flies you will be using on the day, as this will make hook retrieval much easier.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Hi Guys,

it looks like the weather Gods are going to intervine on Sunday will the day be called off if it is raining or does it go ahead as planed.

I have to travel about 1 1/2 hours to get to the spot so if it is going to be cancelled is there someone I can call on the morning?

Thanks

Big-Pete :1fishing1:

Guest bluecod

Hi Guys,

it looks like the weather Gods are going to intervine on Sunday will the day be called off if it is raining or does it go ahead as planed.

I have to travel about 1 1/2 hours to get to the spot so if it is going to be cancelled is there someone I can call on the morning?

Thanks

Big-Pete :1fishing1:

Big-Pete,

The forecast has changed considerably over the last 24 hours and going by recent experiences regarding the forecast, at this stage I would say it is still on. I will be bringing a tarp along to set up under in case of light rain, but if it is going to be pouring and driven by a 20 knot SE'er there won't be much point to it.

I will confer with my resources and co-management on Saturday afternoon and put a post up.

:1badmood: hasn't blinkin rained in four years and the day we don't need it, it probably will. :1badmood:

I unfortunately will no longer be able to make it. :1badmood:

A social engagement has been bought forward from the evening to mid-day.

Have a good one!

Guest bluecod

I unfortunately will no longer be able to make it. :1badmood:

A social engagement has been bought forward from the evening to mid-day.

Have a good one!

Thanks Jewel for letting us know - have a good "social" engagement :1pash:

:074::074:

Guest bluecod

Guys - this is a very serious suggestion. For those who haven't tried fly before - you will spend a lot of time flicking a hook straight back at your head. It is not uncommon for newbie swoffers to impale themselves. Flatten your barbs and it will make removal a simple procedure.

I can vouch for that!

Lucky for me the hook only impaled my forearm burying itself up to the shank, for which I was grateful the resident medico removed in one swift action. Even then it would have been a lot easier if there were no barbs involved!

I will take the diagram Pedro sent me a while ago of the hook removal procedure, not for the squeemish! But flattening the barbs is a great idea, but I recommend that all the first timers use a but of brightly coloured wool instead of a fly for while learning and practising. When we practice casting at the Sydney Flyrodders, even the top guys use wool, might save a bit of angst. With so many people getting about, dont forget it wont be only us, its a popular park for lots of people, go the safer option. I suggest the wool for on the grass, flies for when we go for a fish in the lake.

Guys, have a look at the 4-day forcast here...

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDG00074.shtml

The sunday 9pm pic shows that we're at the boundary of the shaded area (p.s. I only took geography till year 8 :biggrin2:)... so its probably correct to say that there's "chance of a shower".

-----------------------------

yep, with regards to casting, be VERY careful if the wind comes from the right (if u're a right-handed caster) and vice versa...

I will take the diagram Pedro sent me a while ago of the hook removal procedure, not for the squeemish! But flattening the barbs is a great idea, but I recommend that all the first timers use a but of brightly coloured wool instead of a fly for while learning and practising. When we practice casting at the Sydney Flyrodders, even the top guys use wool, might save a bit of angst. With so many people getting about, dont forget it wont be only us, its a popular park for lots of people, go the safer option. I suggest the wool for on the grass, flies for when we go for a fish in the lake.

I second that...

Guest bluecod

Mandatory Ken!

Besides, high sticking a fly rod when the hook is hanging onto some grass is not a good look when all of a sudden your three piece rod becomes a four piece rod. :(

Another thing to be aware of is to always look behind you for little kids and large adults :mad3: before you start casting.

For those of you who don't know how to tie a loop knot this LINK explains it pretty well. It is a very handy knot to know.

Edited by bluecod

When you get to Narrabeen shops (immediately before the bridge - only one bridge around these parts) your almost there. Don't get off at the shops. Go over the bridge and the bus will turn right at the lights. There is a bus stop 200m after the turn at the QUIX petrol station. Get off. Cross the road and walk North 200m and your at the park/lake. see you there!

Guest bluecod

is anyone else catching the 190 bus. i have never been there and dont know where to get off . if no one is i will just take the ubd and hi light the bus route

Tell the bus driver you want to get off at Narrabeen High School - the park is directly across the road.