Port Hacking

Yowie

post-13153-0-48576200-1420509975_thumb.jpgpost-13153-0-29583600-1420510240_thumb.jpgpost-13153-0-17089800-1420510316_thumb.jpg

Headed out to the deep water out from Lilli Pilli early this morning. Used pillies for the tailor, and missed a few more bites as they are not big fish, as the pillies were hard salted ones. Also picked up the salmon in the same spot on a pillie, put up a good fight swimming around the boat and anchor rope a couple of times. Not easy passing the rod under the anchor rope, and trying not to let the reel slip into the water while a mad salmon is dashing around like a lunatic. It was released.

Also caught a couple of yakkas, but with the tailor about, I did not use them alive, instead killed them and used the fillets. Pulled out 2 kingies about 55cm mark, one on a rod and the other on a handline, also swimming around the anchor rope. A bit of fun on the handline, both released.

Also pulled up a fair sized blue swimmer, not in the photo.

Headed to Maianbar flats and pumped some nippers, When I finished that, I waded in less than knee deep water for 2 of the whiting. While I was doing that, I saw an eagle ray in the vicinity of nipper I had thrown out, was hoping that he had missed the nipper, but then the rod bent over and the reel screamed away so I had hooked up. I just hung onto the line and it snapped near the hook, otherwise I would have been spooled in no time. 6lb line on a whiting rod and metre wide eagle ray is not much of a contest.

I hopped back into the boat and drifted for white some time, for the other whiting, bream and flattie, plus many undersized whiting and a few little flounder.

The flattie is not that big, but the yellow tail flag is different. I'm thinking it might be a Bar Tailed Flathead, but not sure, can anyone help? The back of the flattie does not show up too well in the photo, but it is lighter in colour than a dusky, and with different spots on the back. It took a nipper that I was bouncing across the bottom, right next to the ballast heap in less than a metre of water.

Edited by yowie

Dave,

thankyou for that.

Have been fishing for about 55 years, first time I have seen one or caught one.

Dave.

No problem mate, I was interested too as I caught a number of 33cm flatties last week that I didn't think we're duskies but I wasn't sure so back they went.

Apparently these only grow to 45cm.

Hi Yowie,

were you fishing just on dawn close to the cardinal marker next to the deep off lilli pilli? Im always on the lookout for you (never have met you but im looking for a tinnie with a bloke handlining). The action didnt seem that hot today in the bay compared to the last week or so where you could have almost bagged out on tailor if you were keen so you have done very well indeed! :)

Hi Yowie,

were you fishing just on dawn close to the cardinal marker next to the deep off lilli pilli? Im always on the lookout for you (never have met you but im looking for a tinnie with a bloke handlining). The action didnt seem that hot today in the bay compared to the last week or so where you could have almost bagged out on tailor if you were keen so you have done very well indeed! :)

I was fishing near a marker early on. The fish were on early, then suddenly stopped, even the little reddies. A shark may have turned up and scared them off. A good time for sharks now, including bull sharks.

i had that same problem with a stingray on my whiting setup down at windang just before christmas, had to run about a hundred metres down the sand flat to get my line on the reel broke off at the leader thankfully.

Did a bit of research on the flattie. Most common from southern Qld around the top of Aus. to near Perth.

Not a large species of flattie. It is a Yellowtail Flathead as the yellow patch on the tail is near the top, the Bartailed Flathead have a yellow patch in the middle of the tail.

A new species for me.

Cool catch yowie, always good when a new species turns up. I was on the hacko yesterday as well got a couple small kings.

Must be a few about, schools of anchovies swimming in different spots to attract them.

The kingies I caught both took the yakka fillets off the bottom, the salmon also took a pillie off the bottom. Many times the kingies have taken baits off the bottom in the deeper water of the Hacking.

can anyone point me in the right direction to where the deeper water is on the hacking? no spot x's but ive never landed a legal fish in the hacking (about 10 sessions) leading to frustaion.

i launch from wallys, deeper towards the heads or inland a bit?

can anyone point me in the right direction to where the deeper water is on the hacking? no spot x's but ive never landed a legal fish in the hacking (about 10 sessions) leading to frustaion.

i launch from wallys, deeper towards the heads or inland a bit?

Yep, I'd love this information too please as I'm in the same boat (figuratively speaking...LOL).

I'd like to try this Lilli Pilli hole some time too!

The deeper water is in any of the bays west of Lilli Pilli, which is the broadwater (the stretch from the bathes to Gymea Bay), Big Turriell Bay, Yowie Bay, Gymea Bay and North West Arm. South West Arm also has deep water.

Burraneer Bay also has some deep water, though the locals do not provide much info, mainly to keep the "tourists" away, also in Gunnamatta Bay.

The fish are where you find them, as in the deeper water, they move around a bit, looking for food. Fish such as tailor and salmon, move about fairly quickly looking for food, until they find a school of baitfish, where they might feed on them for a minute or two, or maybe 10 or 15 minutes in the same area.

Edited by yowie

Have a look on Google Maps. The lighter areas, particularly between Lilli Pilli Point and Dolans and Burraneer Bay are shallow (3 - 6 metres) with a sandy bottom.

The deeper water is dark in colour around Gannons, Yowie and Gymea Bay. The deepest water, from memory, is between the southern part of Yowie Bay and Dark Bay to the west - it bottoms out at about 25 - 30 metres with a muddy bottom. There's also deep water in the majority of South West Arm after you cross the sand bar, around 15 - 20 metres. Any further upriver from these places and you start to hit the sediment being washed down from the rivers (you can see it on the map, it's darker in colour than the sand being washed in from the sea). There are deeper holes and so on, but you'd need a sounder or a lot of patience (or some local knowledge!) to find them.

Another great post Yowie, you are the Master of the Port!

Good for you sharing all that top info with other Raiders.

This site has to have the most selfless members of all, plenty of "feel good" reads when members share. Keep it up lads and lassies.

Cheers

Paikea