First Fish for 2015

ross patti

Snuck out again today to usher in 2015 in the fishiest way possible.

Sounded around in between Juno and the Western shoreline opposite . . . Challenger head, I think ? . . . and found a good patch of bottom . . . we dropped the pick and put a spread of rods with bloodworms and live nippers, chucked out some burley pellets and sat back and waited.

Thankfully, we didn't have to wait too long, although it was a beautiful morning with light winds and glorious sunshine.

The first few whiting were around the 30cm mark, mixed in with some nice keeper 28cm bream.

I have a theory that if you are not catching bloody skates, you are not on good whiting ground. Well, based on that fact I was the skatemaster today ( must have caught 7 or 8 of the bloody things ! ), I was quietly confident we were in for a good day.

I reckon we had arsed our luck and came across a small cockle bed . . . coz the whiting action improved as the run in tide grew stronger.

I will master this photography business one day soon, but I'm sure you will get the idea of the beasts we tangled with.

The 2 biggest in the photo I titled " 2 horses and a hat " went 42 and 41cm.

Some of the better fish appear in photo 2, most there were above the 36cm mark. That blue esky they are on is 72 cm across . . . as a guide.

A great day, a great feed of primo fillets, and a great way to start the new fishing year !!.

Happy Hookups fellow Raiders !!!

post-2740-0-43415900-1420526665_thumb.jpg

post-2740-0-69046000-1420526695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rosco 1