My Day out and Issues

reese

hi guys

up at 3:45am headed to Batemans bay from canberra for a day trip ( dont no how you all do it regulary)

first day out in Open water with my boat - have had a few in the lakes ect -

day started awesome heeps of boats - boat was running perfect we had a go for some yakas and squid which we got but we were in a spot with a little swell and we wernt travelly well - ducked back in for some kwells - now the day went down hill boat wouldnt start (i have then flooded it i think) finally started, and off we went - but as we pulled out of the ramp area and hit full throttle iit went then died to a low rev - but was stable at that rev,

from here we went straight in, few other ppl were helpfull and tried to assist, went to both marine shops who were flat out, eventually we decided to change the plugs launch quickly and test it - bam works fine so away we gho as wind and swell are picking up - 500m out and dies again nice slow low range rev (dosnt sound like its struggle just sounds and feel like i have pulled back the throttle.

i left it in full throttle after about 5 min kicked up and then up and then ran fine with out fault for the rest of the day.

swell was up between tollgates and snapper island so lasted an hour before we called it a day caught 2 42cm flatties one each we were happy.

but disapoint with the haul everyone else got who were further out (not much further yellow rock they said) and around the headland where we were orriginally going - they come in with snapper kings ect

they all said inside the tollgates was worse then out further - We didnt go furth because i assume would be worse out there.

anyway sorry for the story what i wanted to know is, has anyone else had anything else like this happen?

i know i could be many things but seem very odd.

the motor is and old 60hp evinrude 3 cylinder.

thanks everyone

Gday,

I recently had a similar problem with my boat. Check all your fuel line connections for air leaks. With me, it turned out to be the connection between the fuel line and the motor. I replaced the female fuel fitting on the fuel line but the problem was still present. I then replaced the male connection on the motor and that fixed the problem.

cheers

Bob

Reese

Before you do that. Uncouple the motor - fuel line connection and then pump the primer bulb. Does is get and stay hard?

if so, your fuel line is ok . If not, look at the primer bulb for leaks , then the clamps or the fitting that connects the fuel line the tank.

If it stays hard , look at the motor connection.

The other thing that I learned when trying to sort my problem was that the primer bulb needs to be in a vertical position for it to work correctly.

There is no point spending money on the boat when it is not required when it can be spent on fishing gear.

cheers

Bob

I had a similar problem with my boat but fortunately it raised its' head when I had it at home. Mine would not rev then would splutter and stop. I checked the fuel line and I saw that it was leaking fuel at the outlet of the primer bulb. The bulb had the factory fitted no adjustable clamps, so I cut the bulb out of the line and threw away the clamps. I put two adjustable clips on and that fixed the problem. :sun:

Sounds like dirty fuel, my advice even thou it's running fine now, empty the tank flush it out so there's no particals in there, change all fuel filters, next time you run the engine run a jet/injector cleaner thru it (mixed in 5litres should be fine and run till near empty) then change filters again and you would be good to go. If you have a built in tank you should install a water seperator. It'll be the best investment you'll make engine wise.

thanks guys,

to test the line do I disco it from the motor side ten see if it goes hard?

I think I have a water separator on the bottom of the fuel filter. which is to be replace, and all the fuel will b replaced couple of days before I go plus a run through the day or two before I go.

I have a basic plastic fuel tank ( from bcf or something) it hates warm days the pressure build so bad the fuel leaks or the pops the line on, I need to have the valve open, I have even taken it from the boat and stored in he corner of my shed still slowly leaks fuel due to the pressure, I have 3 oter basic plastic jerry cans and they are fine..

so ill neeed to check the connection from fuel tank to fuel line, it leaks from this point when tank is pressurized, (I always undo the valve when using the engine)

Reese,

when you are using the motor you have to have to air valve for the fuel tank open to allow air to replace the fuel as you use it.

If you disconnect the fuel line from the motor then prime the bulb , the bulb will become firm. You will also be able to see fuel leaking from the motor connection or from the primer bulb connections. That will indicate an air leak when the motor is under load. ie. full throttle.

cheers

Bob

If the tank is leaking under pressure while sitting (heat build up) then that's a separate issue but if it was me for the sake of $50 I'd be throwing it in the bin and getting a new one, if it leaks on the boat and your a smoker the last thing you want is fuel sitting on the floor or vapours floating around.

With the fuel line again it's not expensive ($12 a metre) for a reasonable rubber line. Just replace it don't bother worrying about testing it.

Cheap insurance of u ask me....

so I disco line from the motor and primed the bulb fuel spurted out in a fine high pressure mist, then dribbled out slowly when I primed the bulb.

bulb was staying pressurized.

fuel was leaking from the yellow tip.

mT9xU4G.jpg

as mentioned before, when tank is pressurized the fuel slowly leaks from the black seal from the brass fitting in the below pic.

kWqkB8j.jpg

Gday Reese

If you are getting a leak at this connection when it is disconnected from the motor then the ball valve that seals this fitting is not seating against the internal o ring so this fitting has to be suspect. It only takes a very minor air leak when the motor is under high revs for the air fuel ratio to be out of balance

I would replace the fittings at both ends of the fuel line. Also mentioned above , if you dont have a fuel line filter installed grab on at the same time and that will fix any crap getting into the carbis. I dont see any need to replace the fuel line its self if it is good condition

With regards to the tank leaking, you should be able to unscrew the black tank fitting and replace the washer or firstly try to tighten it up.

Being a pensioner, I dont have the cash to splashout on replacing whole fuel lines and fittings so I start by a process of elimination, starting with the most obvious and working downwards until I locate the problem

Cheers

Bob