My first whiting with a surface lure

nutsaboutfishing

Woke up 4.30 keen to have a fish on my mates tinny. So we take the long drive to Balgowlah. We get the boat down to the water and attempted to unlock the lock holding the oars. First key doesn't work, second key doesn't work, getting anxious now, third key doesn't work. Aaargh my mate didn't have the right key!!. I was keen to do some land based fishing but my mate, totally devastated didn't have the will, so we did the long drive home.

Still keen for a fish I decided to hone my very basic walk the dog skills at my local, Tarban creek. Not a breath of wind it was a great day to practice. Casting and retrieving I worked around the bay. Suddenly something hits my lure and really pulls hard. It was totally unexpected and I didn't see it follow the lure because the water was so dirty. When ever I catch something in the excitement everything I've learned usually goes out the door, so I have to remind myself pump and wind.

After a satisfying fight I land a nice whiting. Now the problem begins, I wasn't expecting to catch anything coz my walk the dog skills suck so I didn't bring my tackle bag and pliers. This fish had all three treble hooks firmly in it's mouth and wasn't real happy. Trying to remove the hook with fingers I kept hooking myself. I'm sure I caused myself more pain than the fish. After about 10min I finally unhooked him and sent him back.

All in all a disappointing start leads to a happy finish.

cheers

Richard

post-31299-0-11263300-1420840827_thumb.jpg

Whats "walk the dog skills" mean?

I'm very very new to plastics and lures and am only just starting to use them and having a pool in my backyard is making it fun to learn how they act underwater and what sort of flick and wind works best for them as I can see them clear as day!

Nice report Richard. Thanks for the warts and all story. It's how we all learn. Make a mistake and hopefully don't make it again. Well done on the catch.

I'm pretty sure me friend will never do it again

Well done Richard! Congrats on your first whiting on surface, they do become very addictive. Now you know that your walk the dog technique is sound. Keep it up!

Thanks Pete, though I'm pretty sure my walk the dog is more of a limping cat at the moment

Nice work. That's a great first.

Thanks Andrew. Firsts are often the best

Great work and nice fish. Never had any luck on the whiting with lures, only nippers...will have to persevere!

I caught the fish at the beginning of the run in tide. I never have much luck with vibes, I will have to preserve with them!!

Whats "walk the dog skills" mean?

I'm very very new to plastics and lures and am only just starting to use them and having a pool in my backyard is making it fun to learn how they act underwater and what sort of flick and wind works best for them as I can see them clear as day!

Google "walk the dog fishing". You use a lure, I think it's called a floating stick bait. When you retrieve it it's supposed to waggle side to side. The pool's a great idea!