Can you yabby pump beach worms?

PRED-ATOR

nope mate, it doesent work like that.

Beachworms are quite strong buggers which have a great hold onto the sand. I have been beach worming extensively for the last 10 years and the some of biggers ones you simply cant hold on to (as hard as you squeeze the fingers together they still manage to pull themselves back into the sand).

Admittedly, i have never tried yabby pumping for them but i cant imagine it would wok. (try it and prove me wrong please) :)

I think you would end up cutting a lot of them in half - you wouldn't know which direction their bodies were in the sand.

If they are at a 45 degree angle and you go in straight down ( 90 degrees ) - you will get the head and maybe the first inch of the body.

I was terrible at worming - I bought myself a pair of plastic worming pliers. The biggest tip I can give you that I found helped me catch them - do not touch the sand with the bait.

I use a bit of prawn / pilchard / smashed pippi - and if your hand touches the sand they will go shy - you need to hover the bait about their head - let them come up and slowly roll the bait away from them - come in behind with the pliers - tight grip and lift quickly!

Also - dont keep going after the same worm over and over and over and practice the last 2 hours of the run out tide - when the water is lowest you find more worms.

Here you go - $10
http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/products/alvey-worming-and-hook-remover-pliers.html?

Edited by RichieR

Throw away the pliers guys and do it the right way! :banana:

Worming by hand means the buggers that you miss dont end up dying with crushed/snapped heads.

The biggest tip i can give everyone who tries worming is to not try and outspeed the worm, he is quicker and will always beat you when you try and slam down on him (with fingers here, not with pliers which kill the worm).

Instead, about a sec after he feels the bait and starts edging towards grabbing a good stronghold on the bait (with practise you will know when this happens, ie, about a sec or two before he rips a chunk of and buggers off back into the sand)

A slow but steady movement occurs where you bury your fingers in the sand about 5mm from each side of the worm and continuously but purposefully continue squeezing your fingers together until they are very tightly held together (with hopefully, a worm inbetween them). then its just a matter of lifting up!

DO NOT at ANY point make sudden jerky movements or try and beat him by speeding up in the last second when you almost touch him, just continuous slow and steady. (even when you begin feeling his body touching your fingers, remember continue squeezing at a slow steady pace, he is so preoccupied with the snack presented that he wont care if your touching him an slowly squeezing him, kinda like a lobster in a pot, cold water slowly heated and he doesent realise).

Worming is like learning to ride a bicycle, after 3-4 worms your success increases exponentially!