Big Flathead in Flathead Paradise

joking fish

It was a hot bite yesterday. Just one of those days were almost everything we did paid off and produced results. My brother and I fished our usual spot at Newport. We arrived at 5 pm and fished the runout tide. The flathead we caught were thick and full of roe. They were everywhere on a day that yielded 3 quality lizards.

I caught the second biggest lizard I have ever caught. It measured 65cm and was not far off my pb. She went back into the water to breed and terrorise more bait fish. My second flathead went 57cm and this one was destined for the table. I also caught a bream that was just legal. I released the little tyke to grow bigger.

Apart from Flathead we also cleaned up on Blue swimmer crabs. We caught 3 in total, I caught 2 and my brother 1. A nice by catch on standard fishing rods. My brother also scored a nice lizard that went 63 cm. the only disappointment for the session was a fish I dropped at the end of the day. It possibly could have been fish of the day. The fish started to peel line off the reel and spat the hooks before I had the chance to set them properly. It was an erratic take and the fish stated to bounce all over the place. We thought it could have been a good size snapper but I guess we'll never know. So far 2015 has began well and if the past couple of trips are anything to go by my bro and I are in for a good year of fishing.

post-16627-0-32489100-1421198429_thumb.jpg

post-16627-0-97202600-1421198476_thumb.jpg

post-16627-0-71414300-1421198539_thumb.jpg

post-16627-0-23506800-1421198590_thumb.jpg

Its a great spot which is also located in Newport.

Bayview, Newport and Clareville breed cracker crocs and kings.

Nice catch!

I looked at google, apparently there is a winji jimmi in Lake Macquarie too. That was the first link that appeared in the search results.