Boat Cleaning Products

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Thought I might tap into the collective Raider knowledge base here regarding boat cleaning products.

My Quintrex Lazeabout 570 is a runabout style of boat. Not strictly a fishing boat more of a family boat so there is a fair amount of

vinyl, plastic and carpeted surfaces that can get a bit grubby and of course can end up smelling a little fishy... Doesn't worry me that much but it was a significant investment

and the longer I keep it like new the better.

A fair amount of blood and guts gets splashed around the place so I am after some tips on what others use to clean their boats.

1) marine carpet - blood and squashed bait.

2) Vinyl surfaces - they are white and they stain quite easily.

3) The perspex windscreen- clean fresh water as recommended is not enough - I as thinking of using the same stufff I use to clean the clears.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Hi Raiders,

Thought I might tap into the collective Raider knowledge base here regarding boat cleaning products.

My Quintrex Lazeabout 570 is a runabout style of boat. Not strictly a fishing boat more of a family boat so there is a fair amount of

vinyl, plastic and carpeted surfaces that can get a bit grubby and of course can end up smelling a little fishy... Doesn't worry me that much but it was a significant investment

and the longer I keep it like new the better.

A fair amount of blood and guts gets splashed around the place so I am after some tips on what others use to clean their boats.

1) marine carpet - blood and squashed bait.

2) Vinyl surfaces - they are white and they stain quite easily.

3) The perspex windscreen- clean fresh water as recommended is not enough - I as thinking of using the same stufff I use to clean the clears.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

1)Automotive car detergent through foam lance on pressure washer.

2)as above followed by a vinyl conditioner(pick one)

3)refer to #1 +chamois +polish with Brasso.

4)There is no 4,but my tip of the day is a 50:50mix of auto trans fluid and thinners for anything rubber like tyres mouldings etc then buff off with fresh rags.

Next time you guys wax your car and get wax on the black rubber trim that leaves a white residue that is almost impossible to remove.....you guessed it,thinners and oil.

You will never purchase products like back to black etc ever agan.

I use to use these methods in my spray painting days detailing lamborghinies for the sydney motor show.

Cheers.

Blood and guts on the carpet - thoroughly wet carpet with garden hose on jet to loosen the gunk. Dissolve a generous amount of napisan in a bucket of warm water and tip over the carpet. Scrub with a stiff brush (I use a timber decking brush) then leave for an hour or so to allow the napisan to soak in. Another quick scrub with the brush then hose off with the jet. This dissolves all the embedded fish guts and blood and gets rid of that fishy smell. I use the cheaper generic version of napisan and also level the boat using the jockey wheel so the napisan solution stays spread evenly through the carpet and doesn't run to the rear of the cockpit while soaking.

I use Mr Sheen spray for vinyl and clears.

Hope this helps

Twosheds

Edited by 2sheds

I would not use brasso.

A good product designed for cleaning perspex is a product actually called , Perspex. It's available from most large boat shops & perhaps from Supercheap , it in a bright blue aersol can.

I'm very sorry guys DON'T USE BRASSO I'm not sure if it will work on Perspex.

I misread the post half asleep.

I use Brasso on my windscreen as i have fitted laminated glass and the water runs of nicely.

All I need is wipers now.

Thanks.