Nice flatty to kick off 2015

jenno64

Decided to hit Kurnell yesterday morning as light winds were forecast until midday. On the water at 7am to spend the first half hour hunting squid but no joy to be had there. I decided to tie on a couple of shallow divers and head across the flats to some deeper water near the sanctuary zone where a few boats were already congregated. Just before I left the flats onto the weedy drop off, my trusty HB looks like it's snagged in the thick ribbon weed but the snag started to take line I turned the yak and followed the fish around for a few minutes trying to get a glimpse as I thought it may have been a ray from it's numerous runs. Luckliy I was only in a metre of water and the clarity was pretty good with a glassy surface. Got a glimpse of a large flatty but hard to estimate size in that depth. Only had a 6lb trace on this outfit so I took my time and she eventually came up off the bottom and slipped into the net. The trailing hook helped with a solid lip hook and the treble was caught near the gills. I took her ashore for a measure and some quick snaps and she checked in at 810mm.post-4017-0-81534300-1421474119_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I hit the still instead of video on the GoPro ...the release was great as she changed colour and slid off happy to terrorise the hoards of tiny baitfish in the shallows.post-4017-0-12829700-1421474134_thumb.jpgpost-4017-0-79258000-1421474163_thumb.jpg

Rest of the morning was quiet but I did manage a legal but released reddy on the same lure. Pedalled over to the oil wharf to hunt squid but no go gain so I came home with pics only...didn't mind after such a nice morning and a great fish to upgrade a PB on the new Outback.

I have a good vid of the capture but lost my video editing software when my PC was reformatted. I'll try to get it op on youtube soon.