Hawksbury Thursday and DY Wide/Harbour Saturday

saltrix

1. Hawksbury Thursday

Decided to try the Hawksbury on Thursday with the grandkids to see if we could get a few Blueswimmers.

With their help we set out the witches hats around Dangar, then tried fishing into the channel where we often pick up a bream or flathead while the crabs are getting caught.

This day drew a blank with the fish and after checking the nets we retreated to Little Gunyah for lunch. A nice peaceful little bay where the kids could play and have lunch.

post-3961-0-68485300-1421475663_thumb.jpg

I set an anchor out the back to keep the stern out on the deep and make for an easy relaunch.

After lunch I got the kids and wife in the boat and picked up the bow rope, all was calm as in the picture, then all hell broke loose, continuous waves about 1 metre high pounded in, I couldnt believe it, at first I thought it was a boat wake but they kept coming. They knocked the boat sideways and broke over the side drenching the family and half filling the boat. I eventually got the bow into the waves and got out from the beach.

Once under way the boat has a self draining hull so I opened the scuppers and the water drained out as I sped up.

I think a southerly change must have generated a brief series of waves as after 10 minutes or so the sea seemed to calm down and a light southerly blew.

Anyhow back to the fishing and crabbing. No crabs at all from the usual reliable spots, and the kids only managed 1 small flathead which they released.

2 DY wide and Sydney Harbour Saturday.

Went out with my mate from Tunks Park about 5.45am, long queue to launch and miles to walk back from parking up the hill. Tried a troll around North Head but didn't want to disturb the rock fishermen so didn't go too close, but no action there.

Headed out to DY wide and did some drifts, it was a bit windy at first so the sea anchor was needed but it calmed down about 9am.

post-3961-0-71647100-1421476980_thumb.jpg

Got 8 flathead (6 marbled and 2 bluespot) and a mowie for a feed, and the usual rock cod, sergeant baker, small reds and small spikey flathead all released. I tried to take a photo but they wouldn't fit on the esky lid and kept sliding off in the chop.

post-3961-0-71126400-1421477457_thumb.jpg

On the way home did a drift off Washaway beach and landed a kingfish which looked a nice fat fish but only went 63cm so went back in.

Another long wait at the ramp to recover the boat, but everyone was in good spirits and co-operated to make the job easier.