Balmoral/Cobblers - Sat morning

SgtBundy

Being hopeful based on all the reports of kings and tailor in the harbour at the moment I wanted to hit the morning high tide at dawn but had no plan in mind other than getting to somewhere before sun up. Managed the 4:30am wake up and drive in realising cliftons would have its gate shut for another hour so went to Balmoral to try picking up some yakkas with the idea to head over to Cliftons at 6.

As it was I stayed put at Balmoral. The yakkas and sweep were plentiful, and the yakkas seemed jumbo sized - any bread brought in heaps of them but they were annoyingly hard to get to take a hook. I was using a single small size 10 and the guy next to me a sabiki rig but they just would not take a hook up. In the end I only managed two and that was well into sun up. I put the first out on a simple live bait hook only rig while I continued trying for others. As the sun came up it put them down deeper but they were still around. By the time the first yakka tired out I had the second and swapped them over, putting away the first yakka to fillet later. With some baitfish moving around to the surface I hoped something was chasing them so started throwing some metals around but no hits. Around 7 with the sun really up and biting already I switched to bouncing some soft plastics around the bottom with a few hits that I suspect were just toad fish. Another guy next to me got a decent 50ish flathead but it bit him off as it got to the wharf, that was about it for the morning. Nothing on the livies.

At 8 I packed up and decided to try again at cobblers ledge as I figured cliftons was going to be packed and I wanted to try some fishing off the rocks somewhere not as busy. I had wanted to try here before with its deeper water access but could not find the way to the ledge, just cliff edges. This time I found the right path to it and put out various forms of yakka fillets and pilchards off paternoster rigs and unweighted but nothing other than pickers touched them.

Around 10:30 with the sun really hitting, nothing to call any fishing action other than redoing rigs and a plan to meet with the wife and kids at castle hill at lunch time I decided to call it quits. As it was pretty warm by then I decided to take a quick swim to cool off before I headed back - and when in rome... did it the cobblers way. Only live once right.