Marlin are on

dave nagy

Fire up the old girl for a troll on Saturday.

Its been years since Pegasus has game fished.

Dusted off all the old gear and fueled her up on Friday.

Dropped the mooring about 7 and headed to e Jibbbon for lives. We couldn't find them after ten minutes and i was to excited after hearing the reports during the week the we basically put the lures in the water at Jibbon and started the troll north.

I took the usual rout over Osbourn Shoal, past Merrys and headed for the Waverider of Botany and a few laps around the Botany Heads.

Conditions were absolute perfect. Slight Breeze and about 1-1.5m swell.

I had some friends and neighbors on board who had all was dreamnt of catching a marlin but had never been marlin fishing.

After running through what to do with the rods and harness and what to expect when we get one ( i was quietly confident of getting one).

After about 45m the boys were asking about my good ol days fishing,

Half way through one of my Dribbling stories one of the boys spat his coffee and said the old what the fox hat. I spin around to see a free jumper stripy in 50fa of Botany.

i spun the boat around and trolled the area for about 10 minutes with 0.

We made the choice to keep on trolling up to the Peak and then out to the Plonk Hole and past any FADS on the way.

The FADS had been smashed and noting was showing. By that stage i thing any thing that was there had been caught or frightened off to Fiji by all the boats.

There was about 10 boat bottom bashing the peak and about another 15 trolling around so we moved on.

Radio chatter was crazy. It sounded like a boat was hooking up every 10 minutes.

There was a report of one guy who caught a 20kg Wahoo as well as lots of big Dollies coming in. Black, Stripes and even Blues were being report with allot of people reporting massive bait in areas.Not that i could find the bait. Im guessing that was on the shelf or at least wider than we were (70fa).

One funny report was of someone catching a black off Broken Bay in 20m of water.

One of the Boys had to be back for work by 3pm so we made the choice to come back to the 40-60 fa area to troll.

The boys were enjoying the experience of marlin fishing in perfect conditions taking 15min rotation on strike.

While i was killing a lamington in the cockpit i notice the rigger load up and looked back to see the hole in the water and instantly scream were on.

As none of them had been marlin fishing before they spin to look at me with the look of "were on what"

That when the reel started to scream and i pointed out the back to a black starting its first greyhound jumps.

Didn't they start moving then. After some inexperience fumbling the spread was cleared, harness on, shouts and who oos from the jumping we settled in to the fight on 24kg.

We hooked up about 2km north if the peak and ended up fairly close to the boat on the peak a hour later when we pulled it through the transom door.

The dream of the boys had been realized.

The chatter on the radio got a little quite around the tide change(strange) but heated back up after a while of lots of marlin being hood and caught even with double headers.

Time had ticked on as we made our way back for our 3pm dead line. The troll in was uneventful.

Being so hot i made the choice to stop at Jibbon for a swim which topped of a great day for the boys.

The chatter in the radio reminded me of the last bumper season in El Nino of Port Stephens where kazillions of marlin were caught.

They are on forshaw. Go and get em.

All of the fish has been put to good use. We feed out touch footy team with one of the wives cooking up the spine for fish Broth last night for all and the frame is getting dumped of my mates wharf for burly his kids will love what hangs around if for the rest of the school holidays.

Happy fishing all.

post-10230-0-86551300-1421531807_thumb.jpg