Help On Livebait Outfit?

alexit

Hi all

I am looking at a new outfit to pull in the kings this coming season.

Now I am sold on the avet SX for a reel, so I am after suggestions for a rod to match.

I will be using this for liivebaiting and some trolling round Syd harbour and surrounds.

As far as line goes I have some 30lb Tuff line and a roll of 30lb (I think?) Ande around somewhere... i am pretty sure I will be spooling up the braid

Looked at the backbones....would the BB15kg be too stiff for the braid? I guess I would also be looking at changing the roller tip to a SIC?

All suggestions welcome

alex

As far as rods go, check out the range of Wilson Live Fibre's. Great action, sensitive tips with tremendous power down low. Unfortunately, I only own one as i already had a collection of cheaper rods from the past but when i can upgrade ill be going that way.

Edited by jewnut

Good suggestion there Jewnut.

I own a Live Fibre Texalium and it's a powerhouse of a stick and still manages to have a tip :thumbup:

There are not cheap but the price is long forgotten :biggrin2:

Alternatively you could look at the T Curve Tyrnos. Nice rod for the price. :thumbup: You really don't need a roller or Sic tip for kings as they really don't run long and hard enough.

What is your price range Alex?

Red

I looked at a texalium today....very nice though a bit on the high side.

I was looking at up to $150 guess?

alex

67365[/snapback]

My live fibre is not a texalium(the white ones), these are the upgraded version and are more costly...the regular version start from about $180(these are the black/red ones) and are still brilliant.

Edited by jewnut

I am not familiar with the reel Alex, can you cast with it as well.

If so I might have a deal for you, I have an spare brand new diawa procaster pitching stick, 7'6 for 17 to 30lb line that has the telescoping butt so its easy to store in your boat ( the main part of the rod about 6' slides into the butt section about 18'')

I bought two for a good price OS recently and decided after that I only really need one.("really need" is pushing the envelope a little :1prop: )

Got it for exactly the sort of things you want to do with it, but also casting big poppers, and minnows into washes and using big SP's and jigs

drop me a PM if youre interested

The SX sure is a little reel, that's why I was a bit unsure of matching to a rod?? I guess I started thinking 15kg when I found out what sort of drag the thing can pull :1yikes: . Given that, your advice Bashir sounds reasonable. Do you fish an avet?

Pogo, I can not find much info on this rod... but I may just be interested. They say that the SX is quite a good casting reel. Care to pm me with a price?

alex

No I don't have one mate, only played around with them. I saw some real nice looking Pioneer brand jig type rods today at the local tackle shop. They look like excellent quality, nice and light look like a 4kg rod but will fish 15kg :1yikes: Silicon guides, blue grips, real flash looking stuff for 99 bucks. :thumbup: I have changed my mind and I think you should get one of these. :1prop:

I fish 30lb braid on my abu6500's livebaiting and trolling (kings, samson, mackeral, whatever). Too many people go heavy gear for what are relatively easy fish to handle on lite tackle. reel sounds good, i would suggest though, if u can cast with it, go something like a silstar evograph 6ft, has a trigger grip and cork grips, beautiful rod, and for $100 (think i paid $120 for mine) odd a bargain. they cast unreal with stick baits etc, and are brilliant at trolling to despite the flex in the tip. down low they are very powerful. rated 8-12kg, but would be fine either side of that.

if your going braid on an overhead, i would recommend sticking with the finns PRT, casts well, doesnt loop too much, is not too limp, but mainly it doesnt stcik or dig in like a fel spun does.

It's important not to get too caught up in the older school thinking matching physical sized rods and reels. The Avet and some of the newer Daiwas and Shimanos are tiny but can handle massive drags and have fast gear ratios. Combine this with GSP line that is so thin for its strength means you can get enough of it on this type of reel. Having a tiny reel and line combo that punches well above its weight means that it will happily handle a much more powerful rod than one may think.

For example I know a guy that fishes a tiny Avet with 40lb braid (from memory, could be 50?) on one of the lighter Daiwa Saltiga rods and absolutely loves it. The rig is so light and responsive yet it can subdue quite large and powerful fish species, such as larger kings and yellowfin tuna.

Don't know if I am iterating what everyone already knows? Just a thought...

• 2 weeks later...