yak - longreef sun 18th Jan

bennoz

Hey all

took the Yak out for the 1st time this year, and visited the wall at longreef. Usual packed house but i think the southerly shut down the fish as noone was catching anything. was very quiet. A few schools of baitfish on the surface but no action

so decided to call it and head back in. Had my usual 2 lures out, while trolling back to the ramp when my small rod starts screaming. Im guessing it was a king, as i did the drag up on the 30lb braid but it just kept taking line off. i could not stop this beast. it was all over in about 15sec. I got down to my backing and thats when the line popped

Lure in question was a halco red head, 2m hardbody

got back to the beach to find a poor guy who'd majorly screwed up his boat retrieval. The boat trailer was in the sand...bogged, as was his ute. had to get another guy to tow him out - was a entertaining 20min ;)

Hey mate

I probably saw you out there as we stopped by longy and tried with live baits and plastics. Also fished 2 pinnacles and 3 wrecks that were full to the brim with rats the week before and only managed one flatty that took a jig. I could not believe how baron the sounder was all day. The lovely bum steer from SeaBreeze with the light SE wind didn't help much either.

Bad luck on the near spooling hopefully the fish and light winds will be around next weekend.

Cheers