First King - land based harbour

mitchie18092

Got nailed by a stingray yesterday arvo in rose bay and ended up in hospital for a few hours so no more wading the flats til I get myself some waders!

Decided to head down to a local jettie this morning instead with my mate. Was there at first light - first bait in the water was a dead yellowtail under a float which got demolished after about 5 minutes in the water. Had it pinned through the head and the rest was eaten. By that time had some livies in the bucket so threw one out. Another 5 minutes and the float goes under - went to strike it and only got the head back.

A while later my mates bream stick starts screaming but got takes straight into the moorings and it pinged. Same thing a half hour later but he managed to hold onto it for a good few minutes before it spat the hook.

There were fish boiling everywhere but once the sun was up they didn't seem to take much interest in the livebait. Once the tide slackened things went quiet for awhile but kept persisting with some unweighted prawns and finally got a good take.

Didnt feel much weight and called it for a decent trev, but once it came up and idled onto its side I knew I was a king. Had about 20 mates with him aswell! Mustn't have known it was hooked because as soon as he saw the jetty it took off for shark island... 10 minutes later back and forth with a few sketchy moments around the pylons, my mate managed to grab the leader (only 10lb mind you) and lift him up.

Was just under legal so had to put him back but was super stoked to get my first under the belt - all the better on light gear!

Had another bust off after that and a few trevs. Going to have another crack tomorrow.

65c2eace85664f3d77a110a5fd24a614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welldone mate.

Stingray looks placid but when disturbed they can be scary.

I went diving and when returning to shore, I was busy looking straight down looking at little critters.

When I looked up, this bullray size of a car bonnet was about a metre from my face and it had the striking pose with the tail up aiming at me! I nearly shit my pants! Whats more terrifying was the water probably a metre deep and 5 metres from the shore so totally caught me by surprise.

So yeah becareful of the rays :)