Marlin Sunday 25/1/15

Innersea

With reports of marlin from last week, expectations were high for myself and a group of mates as we passed through the heads. We decided to drop the lures in a couple of miles short of the 12 mile and continued to head east.

The first strike came at about 9.30am when we hit the 90 fathom mark and 23.8 degrees. The short rigger was smashed and the fish took off. It wasn't a marlin but it did turn out to be an 8kg dolly. I'm still surprised a fish that size can take over 100m of line against 8kg of drag.

post-31565-0-85321700-1422228348_thumb.jpg

We continued to troll out to about 170 fathoms but no further action so we decided to come back in to around 80 fathoms and zig zag north. The tide change came and went at 1pm and shortly after we saw a marlin jumping so close to another boat that we were sure they were on. Turned out it was a free jumper.

Around 2.30 my mates 16 year old son thought he spotted a group of birds way off in the distance. My old eyes couldn't see anything but we decided to head over anyway. As it turned out they were working a baitball right on the surface and within 30 seconds two fish came into the spread but only one stuck. 20 minutes later and we had a nice (approx 60kg) black at the boat. It was revived successful and was great to watch it swim away.

post-31565-0-28138600-1422228678_thumb.jpg

The fish were certainly concentrated in the area so we continued to do circles around and not long after we saw another free jumper. We tried to pull a lure in front of his nose and got so close we practically ran over him but to no avail.

post-31565-0-17910400-1422228764_thumb.jpg

No further action for the day but it was a great day to be on the water. Marlin was caught in 75 fathoms due east of Sydney heads in 24.1 degree water on a Moldcraft wide range purple/silver over black lure (best $40 I have ever spent).