Making my own fad, thoughts?

mike2153

Hey guys so after this weekend of having 10 boats around the fad and waverider I've decided to make my own.

I'm thinking 2 20lt drums filled with cement chained together running up to and shackle and swivel. 200lb broad up to another 2 or 3 20lt drums attached 5 metres apart using dropped knots down at do you all think?

Has anyone else made there own or has some experience with making a fad?

Also how much extra line should I give I was think about 50% so 150m if in 100m of water?

Pretty sure this wouldn't be allowed... as it would be technically littering in the ocean? And you'd be pretty angry if a big cargo ship that ran over it and sent you the bill for a new prop.

Dont get me wrong, a good idea... hell a Fishraider FAD which the location is given out to any 500+ post member... brilliant idea, but realistic... probably not.

You'd have to check the laws around it before putting this into production. MAybe contact the DPI and discuss it with them?

I have been told there is a public liabilty issue with private FADs. Fisheries FAD's are marked on navigation charts and are therefore ok. That said I know many people do set there own and can be quite productive. Public forums though may not be the best place to be discussing them. I will say though your anchoring system will work but complete over kill and your rope estimation is about right.