Port Stephens--marlin And Snapper

Martin

A few weeks back a few members expressed interest in chartering via Broadbill (who are a sponsor of the site) to fish Port Stephens in an effort to go Marlin fishing and even do a spot of snapper fishing.

Some achievements

*Winner of major trophies in the Pt Stephens Interclub (Aust largest tournament) on three occasions. *Runner up three times

*Winner of Billfish shoot out twice *runner up twice

*Winner Northern Waters tournament ‘04

*Winner AIBT

*The tagging of 18 marlin in a day April ‘97

*The tagging of 248 marlin in ‘97

*The tagging of 21 marlin in a day Feb.’05

There are far to many others to list.

Having discussed this with Ross Hunter, we can do this a few ways to ensure you have a great adventure. A 3 days charter will minimise possibility of bad weather and let us do marlin and get a bit of snapper fishing in also if all agree.

On Broadbill the following three-day package dates are available

Feb 4, 5, 6 Arrive Friday night 3rd and fish Sat 4th, Sun 5th and Mon 6th Feb

March ........a share charter requiring 4 people 25, 26 and 27 Sat to Monday Fishing or

Billfisher April 7,8 and 9 is available. Friday to Sunday fishing

The best way is a 3-day charter for 6 people or we take up a share charter for 4 people. I am proposing we try for 6 people on Feb 4,5,6 and 4 people March25, 26, 27 We are in peak/hot Marlin time for the area.

COSTS FOR 2006 per person with accommodation is $900.00 for 3 days fishing.

*The charter of either boat is $1550.00 per day or $260.00 per head per day based on a share basis of six anglers…………….(maximum anglers per boat six)

ACCOMMODATION for groups of six is $700.00 per three-day package or $120.00 per head for individuals

BOOKINGS and DEPOSITS Bookings are taken on a first in best-dressed basis. A deposit of 50% must be paid within 30 days of booking if before Sept. However all balances must be paid in total by December 20th.

The units are 4 to 5 star and are within walking distance to the marina and the boats

*WHAT SHOULD I BRING? You will need sheets pillowslips tea towel personal towels and toiletries etc. It is suggested such starters as coffee tea bread breakfast items could be packed however there are convenience stores near by.

A raincoat, sunscreen seasick pills, camera and sunglasses are a must

WHERE DO I GO? Soldiers point is where both boats are berthed. If you are flying the airport is Newcastle or Williamtown, as it was known. There are shuttle busses, which run to Soldiers Point (approx 30 min trip) check with your flight co-ordinator on availability.

HOW DO I GET THERE? If driving head north on F-3 then follow the signs to Taree. Go over Hexham Bridge turn right approx 2.5 km after bridge take road to Tomago …Nelson Bay…. Turn left at Soldiers Point Salamander Bay Roundabout. Ring Ross 0409 047 727 or Glenn 0418 462 476 when close to arrange a meeting point whereupon the boys will show you to your accommodation.

If interested please confirm if you are:

February 4th, 5th, and 6th (for 6 people) Total cost $900 per person

Or

March 25th, 26th and 27th (for 4 people) Total cost $900 per person

Edited by Martin

• 1 month later...

This looks like a good deal, to just pay $$$ with everything organised already is always good.

Q1. Am I missing something or is no one interested yet?

Q2. Is ashared charter 4 fishraiders plus 2 others to fill the boat?

Q3.Is this for fishraiders only?

Q4. How many hours fishing each day?

Thats enough Qs for now, my interest is most likely in the march trip.

Thanks

This looks like a good deal, to just pay $$$ with everything organised already is always good.

Q1. Am I missing something or is no one interested yet?

Q2. Is ashared charter 4 fishraiders plus 2 others to fill the boat?

Q3.Is this for fishraiders only?

Q4. How many hours fishing each day?

Thats enough Qs for now, my interest is most likely in the march trip.

Thanks

Steve

This was initiated to support one of our sponsors and a number of members had expressed a desire to try their hand at game fishing. What better way than at Port Stephens during prime time on a gunboat with an outstanding track record!!!

Q1 There has not been a huge response to this and I would have to check if the proposed dates are still available as this was back in September 2005

Q2 A shared charter was to be 4 Raiders plus 2 others or a mix

Q3 It does not have to be limited to Fishraiders. If you have mates or children (not to young) then I am sure that would not be a problem

Q4 I would expect it’s for between 8 to 10 hours per day

3 days of fishing for $900 total cost is great value. 3 days gives you a safe guard against possible bad weather and between 6 guys a high chance of each person scoring a marlin over the 3 days.

If we get the numbers up then I will recontact them to check available dates. Alternatively Byron may have some information.

G'day all,

I spoke to Ross about this very topic only last Thursday and have the following update on availability:

These are the only days left:

Feb 1,2,3

March 6,7,8 or

March 29,30,31

April 3,4,5 or Easter

Ross does have a few stragglers that would join a crew if necessary. Costs are as per Martin's original post and I can highly recommend the accomodation. Self-contained at Soldiers Point and close to Salamander Shores and Bowling Club for dinner and drinks after a big day on the water.

NOTE a day's fishing is approx. 8-10 hours offshore.

Cheers Byron

Hey Fellas,

I would highly recommend if this trip goes ahead you guys consider the Feb dates.

The tides and moon phase is puuuufecct !!

Also the fact the first and second week of feb has seen the hottest marlin fishing of the east coast at port for the last 2 years running !

We'll be up there as per normal getting belted in the Quinny.

Chris