Luderick, Cronulla - 10/2/15

fiveflies

Hi Raiders,

Popped down to the rock ledges in Cronulla yesterday, armed with some fresh weed and high hopes! Fished either side of the high tide hoping for a lively blackfish session.

Well, three hours later I'd managed one keeper (28cm) and a smaller model returned to fight another day. A few other fishos down there had similar results.

Not enough for an entire meal, but a nice accompaniment!

post-34651-14236076978162_thumb.jpg

Fingers crossed for a little whiting bash today if the planets align...

fiveflies

Hi Guys,

It's a luderick I promise!! [emoji1] When they're gutted and scaled then cooked they do look like bream. Will have to do the before and after shots next time!!!

Couldn't take a picture whilst on the rocks as I'd dropped him a few times and nearly lost him! Popped him in the keeper net and he fell straight through as I'd damaged the net in the prop of a tinnie.

schembo they taste really nice. Firm white flesh and not too "fishy" tasting. You just have to bleed them and ensure you remove the black stomach lining. Make good fillets when they're 30cm plus as well.

LOL,

Wasn't going to say anything but I was thinking he knows enough about blackfish preparation and eating qualities not to mistake a bream for a blackfish.

Glad it was sorted out.

On the subject of blackfish I am old enough to have called them the "N" word for long enough to almost make that mistake in a post or general conversation.

Anyone else fall into that trap or am I alone again!

Cheers

Jim

LOL,

Wasn't going to say anything but I was thinking he knows enough about blackfish preparation and eating qualities not to mistake a bream for a blackfish.

Glad it was sorted out.

On the subject of blackfish I am old enough to have called them the "N" word for long enough to almost make that mistake in a post or general conversation.

Cheers

Jim

In today's "politically correct" world (or so some of the wankers think) you could not use the old term for blackfish beginning with 'N'.

It's a wonder there is not more whinging over the term 'blackfish' (they are black in colour)

Lol well done. More to come next time hopefully

I'd love to think so blackblackfish!! Its such a thrill when you see that float disappear....I generally strike too soon as I can't stand the suspense! Have just ordered some weed flies online (Fat Pete's) so looking forward to giving them a try.

Looks delicious! How did you cook them? I'm having bream for dinner tonight so open to suggestions.

It was delicious (so was the luderick!!). I generally slice the flanks so that the flavour penetrates the flesh, three slices on each side. I then use ginger, garlic and lemon juice to pour over and slice some lemons to lie on either side of the fish. I sometimes put spring onion on as well. Then wrap up in foil and cook for 20 mins or so on 180.

LOL,

Glad it was sorted out.

Cheers

Jim

When I'm fishing everyone that comes down and talks to me uses that word. I don't as even though it is not meant in a racial or negative way, the word itself has negative connotations and is obviously derived from a derogatory term.