Catching Crabs

gregh1

G'Day Raiders,

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of catching crabs with a stocking and soap. I was talking to a colleague yesterday and they swear by it. It doesn't appear to make sense to me. I can't see the link between crab and soap but hey, I am willing to try it. Interested in others thoughts on this!!

Cheers,

Greg

forget the soap just use the flathead frames you have been catching.

That's what I have been doing and having limited success!! Twice the stockings have come up with big holes in them and no fish frames left inside. I am not sure if it is the crabs or fish eating through the stocking.

How do you guys normally catch the red ones that live around rocks that you use for groper fishing?

Wear a heavy glove and stuff your hand in (pray your fingers survive) or spear em out somehow?

I don't go after those ones and I certainly wouldn't be sticking my hand in and pray! lol

I got 8 blue swimmers in 2hrs fishing from a kayak in Brisbane waters using mullet on hand lines.

Cut the mullet into chunks not fillets.

Large running ball sinker down to a large hook I think they are 5/0.

Thanks mate!! I have tried that also and have managed a few at times but you have done exceptionally well getting 8 of them.

Overall I have lost far more than I end up getting on the boat!!

I had some improvement with a longer net but nothing as good as you have had!! The strange thing is I will have a handline over with a large chunk of mullet in the middle of a birds nest and a rod out and they usually seem to go for the rod and thats where I lose most of them. Anyway, I will keep persisting as the wife loves them and so do I.

i dont get the net in the water to early.

i wait for the crab to get to the surface then try to net the crab from behind if they are facing the net they seem to drop off the line.

i also tie an empty bottle of berley to the kayak and sink it to the bottom.

i dont get the net in the water to early.

i wait for the crab to get to the surface then try to net the crab from behind if they are facing the net they seem to drop off the line.

i also tie an empty bottle of berley to the kayak and sink it to the bottom

I have been coming from the front with the net so this could be why I have been losing more than I catch. I am not quite sure what the empty berley bottle is about.

I think stick to the fish frames... Or get those pouches and put 5 or 6 cut up pillies in them... Works for us.

I wouldnt recommend using a chemical filled soap... Im imagining the Crabs would taste all soapy...