What swell do you fish in?

Mono270

Would like to know what is the maximum swell that people fish in safely?

I only go out from 0 to 1.8m swell, but would like to know if others that go out in bigger swells still get on the fish??

I fish mainly off Bellambi & Botany but don't go too far out unless 0.5m to 1m.

Boat size is 4.75m Quintrex Coast Runner.

I've got a 4.2 stessco skipper runabout and I fish in anything up to a 2 metre swell of it is around 10secs or more duration. If it is 2m @10-15secs normally in between the heads and up to about 2k out is a bit sloppy then your fine. You just roll over the top of nice long waves so it's not unsafe at all.

If the wind is pushing against the swell or the wind is above 10knots and the swell is about a metre I can get to uncomfortable.

There's so many factors that go into it and when you read the weather you really need to know how to read it properly and put all factors together to tell what it really going to be like.

Then you get out there and find out the weather was completely wrong hahaha

I'm actually thinking of doing a write up on inshore/offshore fishing in a small boat and the do's and dont's. Seeing as I am really one of only 2 people I know in sydney who head out as far as the shelf on a regular basis in a boat under 4.5m and do it SAFELY.

I would be interested in an article on that mike! And also as you mention how to read the weather reports properly and general tips. But I guess at the end of the day until u experience the conditions first hand it's always going to be hard to picture what it will be like!

I'm actually thinking of doing a write up on inshore/offshore fishing in a small boat and the do's and dont's. Seeing as I am really one of only 2 people I know in sydney who head out as far as the shelf on a regular basis in a boat under 4.5m and do it SAFELY.

If you do a write up, please run it by admin. There have been several contentious postings of that nature.

Cheers scratchie!!!

I'd love to read it Mike, as Scratchie says throw it our way first and we'll make a call on whether it's an article we can approve.

Please note we just don't want inexperienced people getting in trouble 5 miles out because they've read a post of someone who obviously knows the water very well. Such posts can lead people into a false sense of security and find themselves very out of their depth very fast.

Lifesaver1 is far too busy saving people who fish off the rocks in a 1.8m swell according to its Twitter feed to be coming offshore to save a 4.2m tinny with a 15hp on the back with 4 people trying to get into some FAD action in the same 1.8m swell.

I think if you aim the article to be aimed at how the sea works with swell/wind/duration instead of the size and power of the boat it would be an invaluable read for the whole community!

Ed

Yea I get what you guys are saying and was expecting that sort of response which is fair enough. I was thinking not so much a 'here's how to do it' but more of a here is what to are into consideration if you thinking of doing it.

Seeing as I believe 90% of rescues of either rock fishermen or fisherman in a boat is due to inexperience and not being informed on the real risks.

Yea I get what you guys are saying and was expecting that sort of response which is fair enough. I was thinking not so much a 'here's how to do it' but more of a here is what to are into consideration if you thinking of doing it.

Seeing as I believe 90% of rescues of either rock fishermen or fisherman in a boat is due to inexperience and not being informed on the real risks.

Precisely mike. I have been out to the shelf a few times and venture 20-30kms offshore regularly in my 4.7m boat. However, I know my boat, my area, check the conditions, have all the safety equipment x 2 and have racked out up many many hours of sea time. It's about putting it all into perspective. Look forward to your thoughts!

Cheers scratchie!!!