Bit of a late mud crabbing report

mark10187

Hi guys,

Went out crabbing not long ago chasing muddies up at Spencer in the Hawkesbury we set out late afternoon with crabs pots already loaded with fresh mullet that I injected with Tuna oil on the first lift of the pots we picked up 2 very nice muddies and also a dirty big eel which was very difficult to deal with on the boat In the dark. While we were waiting for the the next pick up of the traps we had a few lines out and scored some nice bream a just legal flathead and a few small rays after 3 more hours pick up the pots again and picked up another 4 muddies and this time a massive mullet was caught in the trap that a mud crab was trying to chew on anyway set the pots back out again for one more go and picked up 3 more muddies and then decided to call it a night.

All in all it was a great night on the water

post-10239-0-68843600-1424684973_thumb.jpg

post-10239-0-13509400-1424685035_thumb.jpg

post-10239-0-02754800-1424685048_thumb.jpg

Edited by bustoff

That is a solid sesh! How is the mullet caught in the trap....that is a deathwish :banana:

Thanks mate.Well I was wondering the same thing it must of swam through the gap in the trap it was a solid mullet as well we literally had mullet jump around us every where all night

Hi guys,

Went out crabbing not long ago chasing muddies up at Spencer in the Hawkesbury we set out late afternoon with crabs pots already loaded with fresh mullet that I injected with Tuna oil on the first lift of the pots we picked up 2 very nice muddies and also a dirty big eel which was very difficult to deal with on the boat In the dark. While we were waiting for the the next pick up of the traps we had a few lines out and scored some nice bream a just legal flathead and a few small rays after 3 more hours pick up the pots again and picked up another 4 muddies and this time a massive mullet was caught in the trap that a mud crab was trying to chew on anyway set the pots back out again for one more go and picked up 3 more muddies and then decided to call it a night.

All in all it was a great night on the water

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Bustoff nice report I love the river. My relatives live there (and they own their own boat ramp :)) Ho long ago did you find crabs along that stretch of the river?

13th of February we went out late afternoon after work stayed out until 2am

13th of February we went out late afternoon after work stayed out until 2am

I've been trying to catch some more muddies on the hawkesbury. I caught one first go, but since then had have nothing but failure! Do you put the traps in amongst the mangroves right at the tree lines or out in the channel?

I have always placed my my crab pots about 2-3 metres from the shoreline where mangrove trees are. I like to have an area where there is a small tributary, like a drain form a swamp or marsh enters the river. Like all fishing the gods do decree our catch. :secret:

I've been trying to catch some more muddies on the hawkesbury. I caught one first go, but since then had have nothing but failure! Do you put the traps in amongst the mangroves right at the tree lines or out in the channel?

Exactly how bessell said a couple of metres from the mangroves and I like putting them near the mouths of little rivers or tributaries as bessell said some days you get none and some days you can get lucky and get heaps

But one other thing use fresh mullet as bait in your traps it's dynamite on muddies

Good luck

Awesome catch well done.

Could I ask does the depth matter or anywhere near mangroves etc will do? Is bought mullet from the fish markets ok or does it need to be freshly caught? Do you use it whole or only the frames?

Thanks

Edited by sbf1

One of the staff at school lives down Spencer way and her husband has been catching muddies. He has been using tins of cat food for bait. He just cracks open the tin and ties it into the trap. He stated that he uses the small tins. Many baits can be used.

i use tins of cat food in the witches hats for blue swimmers with success. Though i never know if i'd have more success using fish frames. Definately easier and less messy than using other bait. Haven't caught any muddies on them yet.