Darling Harbour - yay or nay?

Razzell

Hi guys,

I wander through Darling Harbour near the Pyrmont bridge fairly regularly and see some monster bream. I want to have a crack at them early one morning.

The thing is, I'm completely unclear as to the legality of doing so...

The NSW rec fishing guide says it's OK, as long as you're not netting... http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/329319/Factsheet-737.pdf

But then I also found this which said it's a no-go...

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/shfar2011502/s13.html#darling_harbour_area

Mixed opinions on all the forums online, too...

So what the hell? can anyone shed some light on this definitively? Or should I call the council or something...

Cheers,

Razzell

But this is the thing... It says 'except for cockle bay', which is where I would look to fish anyway. From the Imax up to the bridge...

And this is further confused by the department of primary industries harbour and northern beaches rec fishing guide, which says it's all fine as long as you don't use any net other than a landing net.

post-34517-0-63852200-1424744843_thumb.jpg

But this is the thing... It says 'except for cockle bay', which is where I would look to fish anyway. From the Imax up to the bridge...

And this is further confused by the department of primary industries harbour and northern beaches rec fishing guide, which says it's all fine as long as you don't use any net other than a landing net.

Yeah the regs are very confusing. How bouts you give it a go. If you get nabbed, we'll know it's not OK. lol

To make things more confusing, I also herd a while ago that fishing here is not permitted land based, however if you had a boat and didn't anchor, it's perfectly fine due to some grey area with jurisdiction on authorities... Can anyone confirm? I understand why its not allowed land based especially with all The grubs out there who would no doubt ruin one of Sydney's major tourist and money hot spots with the rubbish left behind... Not to mention all the potential dangerous weapons, bait knives etc Easily accessed by intoxicated folk and easily irritated fisher 'groups'. I've seen a few fishing shows that have fished boat based in and around the darling harbour area and seemed all fine, however I've never seen it personally and wonder why more people don't do this... Unless I'm missing something completely.

Edited by Ojay Samson

Razzelle,

Have a look at Reg 15

http://legislation.nsw.gov.au/sessionalview/sessional/sr/2011-466.pdf

It says that

15 Fishing in Darling Harbour area A person must not

except as authorised by the Authority, take or attempt to take, or harm, any fish in the Darling Harbour area (other than in Cockle Bay). Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units

My reading of this reg is that YOU CAN fish Cockle bay. I would take Cockle Bay to be from the Pyrmont Bridge south.

But , the Rangers being type of people they are, can use reg 23a to move you along.if you dont challenge them.

Most people , when told to do something by a person in uniform will do what they are told even if they dont have to as they dont want the trouble.

Anyway , why would you want to catch fish in Darling Harbour with all the people traffic down there not to mention that pollution risk from the fish caught there.

the amount of crap on the bottom of the bay would have to be on par with Rhodes and Homebush Bay.

Go fish Walsh Bay or Prymont ans avoid the trouble

Bob

The legislation being quoted relates to the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority.

The definition of Darling Harbour Area is 3 Definitions of Darling Harbour area and Pyrmont Bridge

In this Part:

"Darling Harbour area" means the following areas:

(a) the Chinese Garden,

(B) Tumbalong Park,

© Cockle Bay Promenade,

(e) Cockle Bay,(f) any other public area in the Development Area (within the meaning of the Darling Harbour Authority Act 1984 immediately before its repeal).

"Pyrmont Bridge" includes:(a) the piles marking the channels approaching the Bridge, and(B) the abutments of the Bridge, and© the extension of the Bridge to Market Street and King Street, and(d) the Bicentennial Flagpole and its base

As its the Foreshore authority this all relates to land based.

Whilst Bob is right you wouldn't keep anything, there are some monster bream and further up in Walsh Bay (directly under the No Fishing Signs) are some of the biggest blackfish I've ever seen

Dave

Edited by davemmm

Someone has to make the call to DPI.

I have fished in Cockle Bay, but it was in the pond outside the old SEGA Centre.15 years ago maybe.

My wife and I were headed for the Aquarium when I saw the signs.

Catch a fish, Win a Rod.

The Scouts had a fundraiser, they stocked the pond with Silver Perch, $10 for 1/2 hr.

I got one, and took the new rod to the Aquarium,

Someone has to make the call to DPI.

I have fished in Cockle Bay, but it was in the pond outside the old SEGA Centre.15 years ago maybe.

My wife and I were headed for the Aquarium when I saw the signs.

Catch a fish, Win a Rod.

The Scouts had a fundraiser, they stocked the pond with Silver Perch, $10 for 1/2 hr.

I got one, and took the new rod to the Aquarium,

That's gold! I can just imagine the looks you got walking into the aquarium with a fishing rod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm going to try and get hold of the DPI and will post an update when I do...

To answer a couple of questions:

- I pretty much exclusively C+R, so it doesn't matter to me that it's filthy there

- I'd be heading down early in the morning before work if I go, so people wouldn't be too much of a problem

• 1 year later...
On 25/02/2015 at 1:58 PM, Razzell said:

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm going to try and get hold of the DPI and will post an update when I do...

To answer a couple of questions:

- I pretty much exclusively C+R, so it doesn't matter to me that it's filthy there

- I'd be heading down early in the morning before work if I go, so people wouldn't be too much of a problem

There isn't anything specific in the regulation stating that you cannot fish in Cockle Bay (as there is for off Pyrmont Bridge).

I live near this area and have often wondered this.

Recently I walked past the Aquarium Wharf (just next to Pyrmont Bridge and the Aquarium/Wildlife Park) and noticed a prominent "FISHING FROM THIS WHARF PERMITTED" sign. I was a bit confused as I was under the impression like yourself that there was nowhere in Darling Harbour that you could legally fish.

I have tried for squid there a couple of times. I've also seen some guys up at the Darling Harbour Wharf fishing for bream late at night, but this wharf has signs specifically stating that you are not allowed to fish there.

So try the Aquarium Wharf, it certainly looks like a good place for bream.

And maybe call DPI to clarify what other areas you are allowed/not allowed to fish from in the DH area.

Edited by Mike89

On 08/11/2016 at 10:48 AM, Mike89 said:

There isn't anything specific in the regulation stating that you cannot fish in Cockle Bay (as there is for off Pyrmont Bridge).

I live near this area and have often wondered this.

Recently I walked past the Aquarium Wharf (just next to Pyrmont Bridge and the Aquarium/Wildlife Park) and noticed a prominent "FISHING FROM THIS WHARF PERMITTED" sign. I was a bit confused as I was under the impression like yourself that there was nowhere in Darling Harbour that you could legally fish.

I have tried for squid there a couple of times. I've also seen some guys up at the Darling Harbour Wharf fishing for bream late at night, but this wharf has signs specifically stating that you are not allowed to fish there.

So try the Aquarium Wharf, it certainly looks like a good place for bream.

And maybe call DPI to clarify what other areas you are allowed/not allowed to fish from in the DH area.

Thanks mate. I got a confirmation from Dpi and it's allowed. Only if there's a sign that's says otherwise. Just wondering do people look at you when ur fishing that area. We're u fishing during the day? Just want ur thought if people start being nosey. I'd probably be distracted if there are people around walking by. 

Edited by gdfishing
Format