Iron Cove – Surface Whiting and Bream

Ocean Addiction

Had a fantastic few hours fishing in Iron Cove yesterday. Launched the boat at 2pm so I could fish the last of the incoming tide. The plan was to fish surface lures in some of my favourite spots in Iron Cove.

I must have been out of practice because my hook-up rate started off terrible. The first hour I only landed 4 fish from stacks of hits.

Moving along I found a good patch of fish in one of the bays and kept working it for about 2 dozen landed.

Most were small whiting and bream. Best whiting was 38cm and I lost a very nice bream while I was working out how to lift it into the boat.

post-34510-0-46868700-1425001840_thumb.jpg post-34510-0-86248900-1425001847_thumb.jpg

post-34510-0-26827700-1425001870_thumb.jpg post-34510-0-99082000-1425001831_thumb.jpg

post-34510-0-59908900-1425001855_thumb.jpg

How difficult is it to get good fish photos when fishing solo???

David

Well done. Pity about the dropped bream but that's a very fat whiting. It is quite difficult to get good photos when solo. I just lay them on the grass because bream especially have a tendency to flop around and either spike me or hit the hard ground if they slip out of my hand.

Thanks Bluebottle. Yep, Iron Cove is my local so I fish there quite a lot from the shore but I haven't taken the boat out for quite a while. It was nice to fish it facing the other direction for once!

You are definitely right that it is an interesting place to fish. So much different terrain within a fairly small area!

Hi Iceman, Thanks for the tip. I was using the owner trebles (the ones in the blue pack) but found the bream were crushing them far too quickly. I think the gauge was far too light. Do you find the St11s hold up OK?

Looking at your pics they could be st36s on the lure

Bream can crush a decent treble but the trade-off with using the lighter gauge is you will hook more whiting and any bream that is just nipping at the lure has a better chance of being pinned in the lips

Looking at your pics they could be st36s on the lure

Bream can crush a decent treble but the trade-off with using the lighter gauge is you will hook more whiting and any bream that is just nipping at the lure has a better chance of being pinned in the lips

Lure is a Gladiator Kozami. Fresh out of the pack with VMC hooks. It was the first time I have used this lure and I was really impressed with the action.

The last few summers I have used the R2S Rover 50 almost exclusively but it was time for a change...

The whiting were hitting the Kozami fairly aggressively (ie mostly three treble points in the mouth). The bream seemed aggressive but very clumsy. Most scored a single treble in the cheek after several missed swipes. Ideally I would like to hook more of them in the lips as I hate when they get a treble near the eye. It's strange but it really freaks me out.

I might pop up to the tackle shop during the week for some fine gauge upgrades.