George's river arvo sesh

michael2203

After an absolute bludger of a week at work, I decided to ditch the wife and kids for some R&R. After dropping them at the in-laws, I headed over to chippo lakes.

Having only gotten back into my fishing in the last few months, I decided to try another spot I had marked out on google maps. After getting heaps of bites, I was finally on. But rather then usual bream that were around, I landed a freakin Eel! As I have never caught one before, I wasn't sure how to go about getting him off the hook. In a rather unusual turn of events, he curled up and started gnawing on the line. Before I knew it he was off, back in the water and away. BTW, any tips for unhooking these critters would be greatly appreciated.

After I while moved to another spot nearby which looked the part. After a few casts I was bringing it in to check the bait and BAM! Something has launched itself and its on. To my utter delight it is my first ever flathead (2nd attachment). Yet another learning curve (I'm more accustomed to freshwater), it didn't take long before I learnt the hard way that these things have spikes in their fins. A cut and a few choice words later I got him off and patched myself up. Again, any tips would be welcomed.

All in all a fun arvo. Feeling a lot less de-stressed, even with the cut on the hand. Planning on sneaking some more time in tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Hodgopost-35567-0-92778900-1425117711_thumb.jpgpost-35567-0-35155700-1425117778_thumb.jpg

Eels - cut the line... Not worth the hassle in getting them off, and by the time you get your hook you'll have a layer of slime on the line!

Flathead - spines on each gill plate and one on the top of the back, they carry a mild venom, people say the best thing to do is rub the belly of the flatty on the wound, something about the mucus acts as an anti venom.

Good on you for getting your first flathead, we all learn the hard way!

Eels - cut the line... Not worth the hassle in getting them off, and by the time you get your hook you'll have a layer of slime on the line!

Flathead - spines on each gill plate and one on the top of the back, they carry a mild venom, people say the best thing to do is rub the belly of the flatty on the wound, something about the mucus acts as an anti venom.

Good on you for getting your first flathead, we all learn the hard way!

Thanks Tef1on. I wasn't sure with the Eel and while I was wondering it he worked it out himself.

Didn't realise flatties had that. As I said, being from the bush I am used to freshwater. Same issue with the catfish back home, but the old man taught me how to deal with them. Here's a tip though, if you ever catch the spine of a eel tail catty, submerse the effected area (i.e. hand) in mud. It works a treat.

Flathead spines also contain an anticoagulant. If the spine punctures the skin deep enough, it takes considerably longer to stop bleeding. Cold running water for 5 minutes is best if it's available. I don't know if the flatty belly fix is real, or an old husband's tale. Best to always have a small first aid kit on hand anyway.

For the Eel, grab it by the head and ignore the tail, it can't do any damage. Grab the head like you would a whiting, i.e. cup the high part in your palm and get a good grip fore (thumb and forefinger) and aft (rings and pinkie). The eel will struggle and wrap around your forearm but again it can't do any real damage. Unhook it and let it go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flathead spines also contain an anticoagulant. If the spine punctures the skin deep enough, it takes considerably longer to stop bleeding. Cold running water for 5 minutes is best if it's available. I don't know if the flatty belly fix is real, or an old husband's tale. Best to always have a small first aid kit on hand anyway.

Congrats on your Flatty! Yes nursie, It does work and is not an old wives tail. I'm not sure on the medical terms but it's worked for me!

Guest no one

For the Eel, grab it by the head and ignore the tail, it can't do any damage. Grab the head like you would a whiting, i.e. cup the high part in your palm and get a good grip fore (thumb and forefinger) and aft (rings and pinkie). The eel will struggle and wrap around your forearm but again it can't do any real damage. Unhook it and let it go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Until it bites you! Be careful, if it's a moray its teeth are really big and long... Certainly not worth a hook!