Silver and Bronze

joking fish

After some steady catches of flathead and bream over the last couple of weeks there has been enough fish around to keep me interested and coming back to the Northern Beaches. While the fish I have caught have only been small, between 25-40cm, I felt a good haul was just around the corner. Yesterday my brother (Dean) and I hit up our favorite fishing spot. It was blowing a gale. I told Dean "I think we're in for a tough day." I couldn't have been more wrong. We chucked in some chook pellets mixed with tuna oil to entice the fish. The session started off slow with only some pickers landed. Seemingly out of no where Dean and I get a double hook up. Dean landed a 25cm Flounder and I landed a 30cm Tailor. I was starting to feel a bit better about things. With our whole pilchards on a snell rig with size 3/0 suicide hooks we have had many successful outings. Pilchards seem to be the bait of choice in Pittwater.

A boat pulled up on the pontoon and I we had to relocate to the jetty above the pontoon. My brother got snagged. While he was redoing his rig I hook up. I jokingly say to brother "Dean! Help!." He hesitated but eventually came over with the net. I landed a healthy 32 cm Bream that put up a good fight. After the boat left we moved back down to the pontoon. Something big took my pilchard and started taking line. After a short battle I landed a 65cm Flathead. After some photos with the big girl I sent her back home. She shot off into the depths like a torpedo. My brother landed two more fish in quick succession A 32cm Bream and a big porky bream that went 38cm.

Just before 7.30pm we finished the day the way we started, with a double hook up. My brother landed a 31cm Tailor and I called mine for a crab or octopus. As I reeled it in Dean waited with the net eagerly anticipating what would come up. He yelled "it's a crab!" It was a big Blue Swimmer. Dean panicked and swiped at it with net. As the crab danced on the edge of the net I yelled "oh nooo!!! devastating." After a couple more feeble attempts to net the crab she fell away into the abyss. We left with a haul that included 2 Tailor, 3 Bream and a Flounder. Although the wind hampered conditions we still managed to score a few. Not a bad day with some great quality eating fish destined for the pan.

post-16627-0-52740000-1425605825_thumb.jpg

post-16627-0-83637100-1425605853_thumb.jpg

What a great session and a well written report.

A trick I have seen (on a Scotty Lyons DVD) but haven't had the opportunity to try, if he has a crab on a line and can get it in close enough he drops the rod tip in the water and wraps his line around it to get it tangled before it lets go of the bait.