crabbing tuross

reese

heading to tuross for a week next month, anyone done any crabbing there, gonna be my second go at crabbing, i have been seeing lots of guys here catching alot and seems to be worth it.

plus last time i was at lake illawarra i recon i saw 20 - 30 bouys out, couldnt belive it (in a smal area)

hopefully ill be hitting the water next weekend eirther sydney or south coast, they will be my first go at crabbing, but i havnt seen anything for tuross, thought i would check before i haul the gear the for the holiday.

thanks Reese

It should be open, don't think it has closed for a while and there has been plenty of rain. I am going down Wednesday for a week to chase Flatties, will update you when I get there.

Cheers

Windy

• 2 weeks later...

Heya Reese, apologies for the late reply! Was busy fishing.

The Tuross system is open, Coila Lake isnt though (not surprising).

Fishing was a bit of a mixed bag, Flathead were tough to find but when we did we got some crackers (81cm was the best). There was a few people crabbing, most of the pots seemed to be up the system a bit but I am not sure how there were doing.

Apparently there have been quite a few Jewfish caught recently but we didn't find one. Just the whet your appetite for your trip, here is one of the Flatties we got, my Dad with the 81cm Flatties:

post-52-0-61533400-1427412812_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Windy

oh yay - im heading for a day trip tomorrow to the bay hopefull find a nice reef - then 3 weeks till tuross - and you have got me excited -

i have been told up the river they are getting mud crabs? i have herd this from a few people (thought they were a northen species)

but getting excited now

Hi Reese,

Went for a fish today with a couple of mates. Was very windy up until 1pm or so. No kingfish around today. Tried a spot south east of the toll gates in about 45 - 50m and got our 30 flathead, so a good feed for the day. Had the crab pots out in the river but didn't get a thing. Looking a bit blowy tomorrow, but who knows at the moment, the weather is all over the place. Good luck...........

Dave

Very lucky we headed south east of toll gates but we were green from conditions very quickly.. Still learning what our limits Are with swell ect

Hopefully some good conditions when down at Tuross so I can have a crack off Moruya heads