Sydney Blue Monday 9th

boattart

Fished yesterday from Port Hacking with Mike and Peter DJTrojan. Peter had caught a Blue Marlin on my boat last year (the first for my boat) and Mike was keen to get his first. We left the port around 7.00 and worked our way out with bait thick and rippling all over the surface from 20fms out to 70fm. The plan was to fish wide so we continued out via the FAD and saw a couple of small mahi that tried to eat the swivels but weren't keen enough for our bigger lures. Around the shelf we switched to some bigger lures and kept going. The water temp dropped from around 24.7 to 23.8 as we made the 500fm mark and the bait was sparse but a few birds wheeling around gave me some hope. With the current running north to south I turned to head up towards Browns for the tide change and the water improved marginally. I zig zagged over Browns to the North and decided to run straight back over the top for the tide change. No sooner had I straighten up and set the Auto and something nailed the 37kg outfit on the long rigger peeling lots of line very quickly and was 300 mt out before he cleared the water and did his Blue Marlin show. Mike was on the rod and was about to learn what a stubborn Blue can do. The deck was cleared and we got back a lot of line but he hung deep and we hoped he wasn't tail wrapped but kept changing directions on us and taking burst of line. Eventually we got if front of him and the rod sprung straight briefly before loading up. I think he was wrapped around the pectoral fin and we now had him coming head first. After running us around the motors a couple of times I finally got hold of the trace and pulled him out from under the boat and Peter stuck in a tag. Unfortunately the Gopro decided to turn itself off but we did swim him briefly and get a quick phone photo that didn't quite do justice to his size and bulk but 170kg of Blue Marlin swam away well to live and fight another day.

Was a great day on the water with 2 extremely nice guys that just love their fishing. Where else would you want to be.

post-12518-0-80611800-1425962683_thumb.jpg

That's a great catch, I'm yet to tick a blue off the bucket list! Spent all day out yesterday off Batemans Bay in magic conditions for all 0's. Gotta be in it to win it. Well done on the blue, you guys deserve it. Cheers..........

Dave

What a way to pop my marlin cherry. When I saw it jump 300m behind the boat, i knew i had a lot of work to do to get the line back on the reel!

I had half an idea what i'd be in for, but once your strapped in onto a blue, you really know how angry they can be. It was pretty tough when it hung deep, but the skipper talked me through it and offered me some wise words of wisdom, not soon after joining in with Pete sledging and cracking jokes at me while i was in pain...well i expected that ;)

It was definitely a team effort and we would not have tagged and released my first beakie without Skipper Mark and Deckie Pete. A day that i wont forget, thanks guys. :thumbup:

Thanks again Mark for your hospitality, I learnt alot. I dont think we stopped talking about fishing for the whole 10 hours we were trolling!

Couldnt ask for a better day