No Longer A Sp Virgin

crystalliser

Hi raiders, just wanna share with you my happiest day today as I'm no longer an SP virgin. WOOHOO!! :thumbup: Yup, caught my legal bream today (no ruler to measure but made a marking to my rod and went back to verify) standing at 26-27cm. It was caught on a squidgy wriggler in bloodworm. I had it in the 5th-6th casts using the retrieve methods specified by Ken in his SP fishing articles. The slow-lift and lower method cause me to feel the taps taps as bites and later after the lower and a little retrieve of slack line, i got slammed. Instant reaction of striking my rod results in fish on. After 2-3 drags of run, it was lifted out carefully for a few snaps and off it went back into the water again. Then, the next cast, towards almost the same spot, did the same pattern of retrieve and feeling, I got my 2nd fish of the same size. How happy can I get, 2 fish to break my virgin and it's not a flattie, but a bream. I'm definitely hooked now.

So guys, if you think you wanna give up SP fishing, think again. I'm a living example of perseverance. Not that I want to boast, but I really want to motivate those still trying to break their SP virgin. I've also lost many jigs and sps but I never give up. It's a matter of getting the right feeling and then you'll be alright, just like your first time learning to ride a bicycle? Anyway, happy fishing to you all and tight lines! :1fishing1:

Ronald

FYI, i'm using a cheap outfit consists of SureCatch storm raider 6ft rod, with a SureCatch Excalibur 1000 reel filled with 6lb fireline.

post-283-1127265793_thumb.jpg

post-283-1127265819_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on the first, and the second Ron. It's always a good feeling to get the first capture on a lure. The sp your using is pretty reliable as well. :biggrin2:

Here's to many more.

madsmc

:1fishing1:

Thanks guys! This opening account really pumps me up now. Searching for fish is definitely more fun than waiting for bites. Yeah, the squidgy lure pops my cherry and I thought it would be the berkley ones instead. But of course these are subjective and I won't just take sides on particular brands, now I guess is a matter of experimenting and finding ways to fish whatever sps that is coming along. :biggrin2:

Well done Ronald :thumbup: I'm looking forward to doing the same picked up my new outfit last night a 7' sqidgie rod and sienna 2500 reel although I have to take the rod back as one of the guides isn't straight :05:

So hopefully will get a chance this weekend to have a cast or two although a few social commitments this weekend with finals parties.

Looking forward to getting down there in a couple of weeks Ben, Did you sort your outboard problem out?

Thanks guys, guess what, the itch has poisoned my mind and straight after work, went off to the same playground with a few mates. This evening was not really favourable as a irritating easterly was blowing against us :thumbdown: . That makes our line in an awkward manner. But with a no-say-die attitude, we proceed to the other spots besides the bream spot I've got. My mate 1st few casts resulted in an undersize tailor which boosted our morale that it is worth staying a little longer as we were really uncomfortable with the wind, my mate was experiencing brain freeze. :074:

Then I came to his spot and cast the opposite direction. 2nd cast upon retrieval for a few rounds (using the same way as yesterday: slow-lift and lower method), felt a few bumps bumps (not that kind of frenzy tapping experienced from bream). So, I take in the slack and instantly I got SLAMMED! Woohoo, automatic fish ON! Then upon retrieval without much fighting and drag taking, my mate instant reply was: FLATHEAD. Yup, the noticeable headshakes and body wiggling confirms when it was near the surface. YEAH!!! :yahoo: I've caught my virgin flattie on sp and it is the 1st legal flattie I've caught in my entire fishing time. How good was that! My mate standing besides me caught another flattie and his turns out to be the biggest for the evening. He was completely stoked as he broke his drought after a few months.

Then, the following few casts using the same method and same spot, resulted in 5 legal and 1 undersize flattie. Sorry I don't have measuring tape as I just brought my 30cm long ruler but apparently it was no long enough :05: . I reckon a few specimens were at the 40+ range. I've took a few snaps of couple of fishes. The weapon of choice for me was the same old squidgy wriggler in bloodworm while my mate was using a 3inch bass minnow in watermelon. All fishes released back to fight another day.

I'm definitely hooked on SPs. Can't wait to get out again! Take care and tight lines! :biggrin2:

post-283-1127311199_thumb.jpg

My virgin flathead on sp

post-283-1127311246_thumb.jpg

Releasing back

post-283-1127311274_thumb.jpg

Yum, squidgy is tasty..

Ron,

u are making me a jealous man. That is a pretty gd session in my books. Just like i have told u, the first is always the hardest. Its all downhill from now. lol until u start looking for that 40cm bream or that 80cm flattie. Then things gets interesting. Then 25cm bream or 40cm flattie will just be "bycatches". Lol but then again i could kill for a legal fish right now. Welcome to the poisoned family. Get ready from the life of an Sp fisho- lots of glitter in the hair and bag and bags of plastics inthe home. Add that nice looking miller rod and certate and ur bank acct would soon look alittle like mine.

regards

Darryl

Darryl,

bro, come on, i'm always available at this playground. The fishes had been returned exclusively for your next maiden arrival. I'm pretty sure they will be more tempted to be hooked by your classy outfit mate. Jeez... stop tempting me to get my upgrade, I'm trying to promote SureCatch :1prop: . As for the plastics, hehe... u bet i'll try and get my hands on bigger SPs :biggrin2: . Shit... did I say in plural? :1yikes: Oops, just 1 packet will do first :biggrin2: .

Ronald

yeah matt, i wasn't aware of the spikes that are apparently found on their gill covers till my mate told me about it over dinner :1yikes: . He had a really bad cut the last time he unhooked a flattie when it suddenly shaked violently. But i don't have a lip grip or a plier with me to hold them still while unhooking. Any ideas how to do it the safe way? Besides, their body are slimy :thumbdown: and difficult to get a good grip with my bare hands, maybe i should bring along a glove in my bag.

ron

Hey Ron,

Like crazedfisherdude said...... can pick smaller ones up by the mouth, although I have had teeth slice my thumb open, but you'll find most of the fellas carry a wet rag, or gloves to deal with flattys and the like.... There is a technique where you put pressure on the top and bottom of the fish just behind the head, like a light pinch. Its supposed to subdue the fish, but Im sceptical as Ive seen it fail and then your hand is even more susceptible to puncture...... rags the go i reckon.

:biggrin2:

matt.

Thanks guys, for your tips on handling flatties. I'll definitely stuff a rag into my bag.

Fishing clinic? :1yikes: Oh come on, I'm still a beginner, I still have heaps to learn from you folks. I also need to conquer the hardbodies department. :biggrin2:

Certate!!! :1yikes: Have you watched movies where the poor beggar kid peer through the glass window of a candy shop only to drool at a chocolate that he doesn't have enough money to buy? Well... if you happened to encounter a bloke doing that outside a tackle shop, that'll be me. :(