The fish I had to catch

yting

Hi all,

So a couple of weekend's ago, I tell the :wife: I will take my 3 year old son down to "the park" under the Wonnie Bridge. Naturally the rod and a couple of hard bodies somehow find their way into the boot before we leave.

We get to "the park", quickly rig up and I instantly know I've only got about 10 casts before the boy gets bored and wants to play on the swings and slide. The pressure is on and I'm feeling the heat.

Before the first cast has even hit the water, I get the expected "have we caught one yet"? "why haven't we caught one yet Dad"?

It's hot and as each cast returns without a fish, I realise my chances of keeping him interested are quickly fading. I have been in some high pressure situations before in life but nothing like this.

I say to him, "one more cast and then we'll go on the equipment ok", this last cast is perhaps the most important of my fishing life. Catch a fish here and I have a fishing buddy for life, don't catch a fish and the chances of me convincing him again that going fishing is a good idea are slim.

Here we go. The lure hits the water and I get that feeling we all know. The retrieve is as slow and drawn out as you can imagine. Something tells me to stick with it all the way to my feet and sure enough, just when I think it's all over, tap tap tap "WE'RE ON SON!"

I know it's not big but I'm grateful just for the hook up. We get it in and its a small Flatty but more importantly he thinks it's "the biggest fish ever".

Job done my son is hooked. We quickly go play on the equipment and race home to come clean with :wife: . He's happy, she's happy and so as the saying goes I'm happy.

Sorry it's no Marlin story guys but thought it might appeal to some.

Top work, Nats.

I've got 2 little fishing buddies of my own, although these days they're both more into homework, roller skating and makeup. That was one of the best reports I've read for ages. Got to love it when a plan comes together... you could turn it into a reality TV show. Best Dad gets to move into the semi final... fishless dad gets to mow the lawns while his kids get a playstation.

Cheers, Slinky

Could agree with everyone more! Well done Nats. It's great to take the little tuckers out. My young one calls everything a "marlin or snapper". Do you know how good I look when he tells everyone "we went fishing and dad caught........(pinkie,whiting)

Cheers scratchie!!!