Kings for a day 28-3-15 new PB

NaClH2OK9

I fished today with Katoe who I met for the first time just a few weeks ago on the FAD convoy with Vos and Tef1on.

The origional plan was to hit the Sydney south FAD again and troll some lures if things looked interesting BUT plans change and late Friday Katoe messages me that he's been told a king spot was firing further north.

We met at gunamatta just after 6:15 where I already had the boat in the water. And headed straight to jibbon moorings for live bait.

It was slow going but by daylight we had 8 yakkas and 2 squid which we decided was enough. Lure rods ready we headed out aiming for the Botany close FAD but the sea was much rougher than it looked and it wasn't far before we realised we'd better stick to 8 knots if we wanted to keep our teeth.

We trolled the whole way for no bites. No birds and no current lines. As we came up on the FAD gps mark we were surprised there were no other boats.

Katoe checked his navionics to confirm location but we couldn't see the FAD anywhere.

Banking on the king mark we pushed on and found half a dozen other boats there who all seemed to be getting some action.

I decided to drop a live bait while Katoe put a knife jig on.

First drop and perhaps 3 winds sees Katoe rod bend over hard. And a good fight results in our first kingfish on the boat at 72cm

6df4c777f25f8cd20ab81fd1bd6df6de.jpg

Back for a second drift I change to a knife. Drop jig drop jig drop jig drop jig nothing.

Unlike Katoe who hooks again ( from memory) but don't stay connected.

Drift 3 sees me finaly connect but a solid fight and I'm busted off. Grrrrrrr my only knife fig.

Another drift and I'm on weighted live bait again and Katoe switches to fresh squid strip and again hooks up and collect another legal fish.

d9fee0fea9bfb8e11f6c06f56623b16f.jpg

Next trip my livie is scoffed and the rod bends double. I've slackend the drag off just a little after the last bust and this fish is just stripping line like I've hooked a train. I can't turn it at all and it just won't stop running. It's all over the bottom and taken at least 100m so a couple of clicks on the drag and busted again.

I'm clearly out classed so switch to my trolling rod. Another drift. Another livie and bang.

it feels different on a heavier class outfit but I'm in charge this time and quickly get the fish off the bottom. It's taking line but not enough and after a good fight and stretching my arms I get a very fat 80cm king in the boat.

1e5855a2aadf3b1b7992d797a4746dae.jpg

This is a pb for me and just 10cm extra make a huge difference to the Fishes strength. It weighed 10lb gutted and grilled.

After a rest and drink we tried again and I pulled a 70 cm specimen. But with 2 keepers for Katoe and 1 for me this guy went back to fight another day.

I'm sure I've missed other dropped fish we had but it's hard to remember with so much action.

12:30 saw the action shut down and the sea a bit bigger.

Ch 21 was not reporting any action so we decided to head in close and troll the rocks on the way back.

A long VERY uncomfortable trip back in washing machine seas only produced one small Mac tuna for Katoe ( which I kept to salt for bait :) ).

Thanks to Katoe for sharing his mark and giving the best king session I've had.

Steve.

Ryder. I know your message is in guest. What can I say. Katoe took the first fish. Then the second which I believe he kept for me. After that his attitude was 100% on getting me my fish.

He is a gentleman and scholar and if anyone has the fortune to fish with him it is to thier benefit.

Welcome on my boat any day if the week.

I've met some great Raiders. But it's infrequent in life to meet a friend.

Great report steve and congrats on the PB. It's always good to catch up with fellow raiders that are like minded people. The seas were certainly not as predicted over the weekend but your confidence and ability must be growing. Well done champ!

Cheers scratchie!!!