Fishing etiquette - stealing spots

mikei000

G'day guys, was out fishing local breakwall spinning this morning and a bloke parks his boat right where my lure was hitting and drops his anchor. I'd been up since the crack of dawn and looking at a donut and then that happened. I put my arms up and said what are you doing you can go anywhere and you park right in front of me. He said "fair enough" and had another cast without moving. As I love fishing I don't mind being out all day and catching nothing, but that really put me in a bad mood and ruined my morning. Had me thinking of all the times people either take your spot when your at the tackle bag or come right next to you when there is plenty of other room. Is it just me being a prude or does this grind anyone else's gears? And what have you done to stop it from happening/ what do you say? The guy was right within my casting range the photo doesn't really do it justice but he literally pulled up where my lures were hitting and definitely saw me and my lures . Cheers mick

post-34714-0-77132600-1428137524_thumb.jpg

Guest no one

Mate, you'll get that with the tourists up here especially if they only know one spot to fish.

Cheers scratchie!!!

I parked there last week... Exact spot. Caught nothing.

Mate it happens, not worth getting upset over as the people that do these things are entirely self centered

yeah your right mate not worth stressing over. I still like to let them know though haha. Well if anyone's around and needs a fishing buddy pm me too

Well I've been in these difficult situations over the years, but I have been the one in the boat. Sometimes blokes on the wall will get annoyed and your totally no where near them. I do agree though with the OP that if he was casting in the area it is a bit rude to go anchor your boat right in the same spot.

I had a situation once where there was a guy up on a rock ledge with his line in the water. I was sounding out the area as I knew some good kings get around there. I was at least 30-40m out away from his line end and I could see a big school of kings underneath so began jigging and hooking some of them. Well the guy on the ledge was annoyed that I apparently came too close to his line so he tied on a large casting metal and began casting at me and yelling out stuff that I couldn't understand I was that far away from him.

My question is does the whole school of kings belong to the guy on the wall because he cast his line near them first and no one else is allowed to come near them or his line? I don't think he even knew what was down there.

I think if boats stay a minimum of about 30m from any cast lines, depending on the specific situation that should be ok.

its worse in the harbour when the kings are on the markers. i always look for the most empty marker in the harbour and go to it i start down rigging and usually start catching fish. then boats start coming from every where and start dropping anchors in my path right next to the marker spooking the fish. end result nobody catches anything and i repeat by moving to another empty marker and they all eventually follow

I've been in this situation once. I was in the boat, unaware that I came too close to somebody's line. After I realised what is happening I simply moved my boat with Minn Kota. This situation is like road rage. Guy in the boat has usually more options so he should move further away and then he can cast even in the same spot as guy on the land. This way both sides can be happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah see I would of been fine if the guy hadnt realised I was casting there and then moved. But he didn't haha. Obviously these things happen by accident and it's always good to see people showing a little respect out there so we can all enjoy it. I'm glad there is considerate people out there

I once went to my favourite pontoon with my son and a friend one evening. When I got there, there were 2 people fishing off it, and I asked if they'd mind if we sat to one side. One of the blokes said no, and put 2 eskies across the pontoon entrance, so we fished off an ajacent wall. My son asked if he could throw the berley in, and because I was annoyed, I told him that I'm not about to berley an area where people are being rude. A short time later, we heard a screaming reel, & we watched. They looked at me and my landing net, & I shook my head 'no'.they tried to land a fish in a large esky and the fish got away.

I once went to my favourite pontoon with my son and a friend one evening. When I got there, there were 2 people fishing off it, and I asked if they'd mind if we sat to one side. One of the blokes said no, and put 2 eskies across the pontoon entrance, so we fished off an ajacent wall. My son asked if he could throw the berley in, and because I was annoyed, I told him that I'm not about to berley an area where people are being rude. A short time later, we heard a screaming reel, & we watched. They looked at me and my landing net, & I shook my head 'no'.they tried to land a fish in a large esky and the fish got away.

that is gold

Hahahaha love it.

I saw that very boat today, I was in my boat and I came up the break wall, off the wall past peoples casting distance but and just sounded down the wall for kings.

No one seemed to get annoyed as I was off the wall far enough.

Boats need to be respectful of land based guys as it's not like they just open the throttle and move to another spot like we can.

As for the guys on te pontoon I would Burleyd the crap out of the water and if they said anything my reply would have been well if you let fish there the fish would be all around you now lol. That's just me, I tend to take the more aggressive approach to those situations haha.

I appreciate all the support guys hope it's just a fishing grom and didn't know any better. Went there again this morning and had a good fight with a bonito/ king on 12 lb but spat it. Had a jetski come right up and drift in front of me lol but as per advice just brushed it off and didn't let it bother me. Beautiful morning with dolphins/ penguins and lots of fish running about . Cheers guys - mick

Looks like a lot of people can relate to your situation.

Sound like you ended up in the right place... I always try and remember this one.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Which is roughly translated as " Don't let the b@$t@rds get you down"

Guest no one

Ok, I had someone anchor right on my 6kg of Mac tuna burley trail on Monday. After some choice words he moved... But it was a very heated moment!

Ok, I had someone anchor right on my 6kg of Mac tuna burley trail on Monday. After some choice words he moved... But it was a very heated moment!

Hard not to get wound up Ed I agree.

I remember fishing the tubes in Jervis Bay in the 80's when some dill cast over the top of a mate who was hooked on

to an 80kg yellowfin.

The YF was lost and the fisho (a well respected and colourful identity in the LGB fraternity) had to be physically restrained otherwise the

offender would have been at the end of a headbutt and toosed off the platform into the drink.

That was a different time of course and more is expected of us these days in the self control department but there are some places that

inexperienced fisherman just shouldn't venture.

I guess we just try and educate them.

I have fished the rocks for years for luderick and in recent times it has become common place for someone to come and stand next to you cast over your line or just not get in line for a drift and cut in! It's got or a point these peanuts have no idea of black Fishermans etiquette! I feel for you mate and half these peanuts have inappropriate footwear and tackle right I am bailing out now but yes etiquette is out the door!!!!!!